10.29.2017

Happy Halloween! My Bat Costume (partly from an old broken umbrella!)

There have been a billion posts on reduced waste and reduced harm Halloween celebrations. I saw a lot of "what do you give out to trick-or-treaters?!" on zero waste and zero waste vegan FB communities! (The verdict seemed to be: clementines, boxed raisins, any mini candy you can find boxed, FEP-approved foil wrapped Sjaak's minis, cans of sparking water/soda or school supplies! Or "Don't bother, it's impossible!" That's the spirit, Zero Wasters!) We don't really get trick-or-treaters since it's a NYC apartment building the management doesn't organize anything so I don't have to worry about that part of Halloween.

I usually do end up dressing up, though, because we have a few friends who are super into Halloween. It's a good holiday, so rightly so. I usually try to dress up without having to buy stuff, or at least limit what I need to buy. Not only is is just better for the environment, but you also don't get stuck waiting on a line to get into Party City. Wait, is that just NYC? There have been a bunch of better, more professionally photo-documented posts about DIY costumes from salvaged material (see one from Style Wise here!) but I'm going to add my blurry iphone photos to the mix, too!



Last year I was Andy Warhol, opportunistically due to my haircut at the time. This year I decided to go for a classic costume -- a bat! Well, semi-classic. My impromptu makeup pushed into more of a twenties style harlequin makeup vibe but whatevs. I wanted to be something classic and I figured I could put it together mostly with things I had on hand. 

What I already had:
  • black long sleeve t-shirt
  • black leggings
  • black shoes and socks
  • costume face makeup and "everyday" makeup I already had (including primer!)
  • a broken black umbrella
  • safety pins
  • black gaffer tape (the tape was my boyfriend's)

What I had to buy:
  • a bat hat I picked up at some cheapo store because I liked it

Technically I already had the hat because I got it in a moment of weakness about six months ago at IKEA no less! But I also could have made a bat hat out of either felt and a headband I already have or black gaffers tape and a headband. 


This was the costume makeup:

I had this stuff from prior years. It's very concentrated so you only need a very tiny amount with water to do face makeup. I was surprised by how little you use so I'll try to incorporate this stuff into costumes in the future! 

I also had a bunch of extra makeup from my vegan beauty box days and just used what I had on hand. Green glitter and white glitter come in handy this time of year. 



And this is the costume! I ended up taping my wings on so you couldn't see any gaps but this was basically it. A bonus: it was very comfortable, I could eat in it, sit in it, walk in it. In fact, we walked the 2 miles to and from the party. Comfort is Queen!


Next year I'll try to plan a little more in advance. I kind of winged this one within a week or so leading up to Halloween. (No pun intended, but I'll take it.) I was originally going to be Peppermint Butler from Adventure Time but I couldn't figure out how to be a convincing PepBut and still eat unobstructed and sit down. Maybe I'll figure it out by next year. 

4 comments:

  1. I LOOOOVE your DIY costume! It's so cute and clever! It just goes to show you don't need to drop $50 to have a decent Halloween costume. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, this was probably one of the cheapest costumes I've ever had. I wonder if I can top that (by underspending) next year?!

      Delete
  2. How fun! Your makeup really takes it to the next level. That is one stylish bat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! I wasn't sure what I was doing and then I was like well, I guess here we are. This looks okay. I like the unplanned kinda plans.

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.