7.03.2017

Jaunty Dame's June Challenge: Finish 3 Projects. I kicked ass.

I participated in Jaunty Dame's June Challenge: Finish 3 Projects. As per usual, I was a little tardy. The 4 projects I suggested had to do with managed undesirable clothing -- 3 block printing projects and one sell-by-mail project for a stash of decent but not-for-me clothing I still had languishing in my hall closet. Here's where I landed.

Block printing 1-3 projects: 

I finished two of them -- the Po-em dress that I loved in style but not in color and the brown cloth napkins I bought for $1 per package, with the thought that I'd practice block printing on them. I already had the block, paint and roller but hadn't yet carved the stamp or done the actual block printing, so this challenge was a nice kick in the butt to get it done. 







They are currently "curing" for a week and then they can be washed in cold water. We'll see then how well the block printing paint holds up. 

I bought the Speedball fabric paint in a bit of a a-duh moment. I feel like it's what everyone uses for this kind of thing and it wasn't until after that I thought to check their site for any animal testing policies, which yielded zero information. (Nothing annoys me more than a product site that doesn't include an animal testing policy in their FAQs.) I did find this site, which states that this line of Speedball paints is vegan. But I also submitted an inquiry directly to Speedball re their animal testing policy. {Edited to add that they responded in just a few hours with the following: "We do not have any written company policy, but we do not test any of our products on animals."}


Sell-by-mail to Buffalo Exchange:

Kit requested, received! Package sent! It should be arriving at their facility today. We do have resale shops in Brooklyn but a bunch of this was out of season (thought almost the season they're buying for at this point during summer) and I also felt like sending it to one central processing place might up my odds of stuff getting sold. Also, whatever doesn't get purchased by Buffalo ends up in their annual dollar sale, which made me feel like it was more likely to get used versus what would happen if I tried to sell it here and failed (it would go to our textile recycling drop off, which gets sorted for thrift store sale but also so much of that ends up overseas too). A few things were brands they request (Urban Outfitters in the form of Urban Renewal, Zara, Gap, etc.) in addition to some Mata Traders and Free People. 

Next round, I'll try Slowre, as I suspect I'll have some Everlane and in the bunch. I did email Gretchen months ago re some other items I had that I just ended up bringing to Beacon's Closet because I was making a trip anyway -- but next time I'll actually follow up and do the Slowre thing. (Slowre, by the way, is pronounced Slower. I figured I'd save you the eternal grief that I have because I read it as Slow-ree and now that's how I read it in my head every single time. Same with Petit Vour - instead of Petty Vore my brain reads it as Petite Vore. Sue me, I didn't take French class ever in my life.)

We'll see how well the goods do when they land in Buffalo's lap for sorting. But I did manage to get the first three steps done (getting the kit, packing my stuff and dropping it off at a local UPS). It's out of my hands now - and my closet is slightly less cluttered. 

As you can see, they send you a pretty substantial bag to pack up:



This is just 1/3 of the stuff I jammed into that bag. I took photos so I could figure out what might have been sold (if they give you details the way Beacon's Closet does) and what didn't do so hot:


3 comments:

  1. Yes, thank you for the inspiration to take these projects on within a specific timeframe!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.