6.26.2017

DIY Dry Shampoo: Cheap & Easy

One of the very consistent things in my life is that I will go over budget. There are times I'm better about correcting this than others, and this month is one of those times. I am in overdrive as a Budget Master. (Still over budget a month later - but slightly less so.) This is the month I also ran out of one of my favorite dry shampoos, which was the last of all my backstock of dry shampoo. And I just could not let myself pull the trigger for a $12 small container. But I use dry shampoo all the time. Like, the only meme-type thing I've ever been inspired to create is this:



I remembered that there were some DIY recipes online and since the type I use now is powder anyway (vs spray), I thought it wouldn't hurt to try. After scanning a bunch of tutorials online, I came up with this recipe based on pretty common kitchen supplies I already had on-hand. This version is for lighter hair and works pretty well. When I had dark hair I could not use this type of dry shampoo because it showed up too light and very matte on my dark hair. If you have dark hair, there are some DIY tutorials online that involve cocoa powder if you're interested in trying them out. 




Dry Shampoo Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons corn starch
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot powder
  • 5+ drops of lavender essential oil

Instructions: Put the ingredients in a bowl. Whisk! Fill an appropriate container. Some of the DIY tutorials instruct you to use a makeup brush for application so you can keep it in a wide-top container. I chose to refill a dry shampoo container I already had around. 

I can't begin to estimate how cheap this was because it was a few spoonfuls of cheap kitchen ingredients for all of the mandatory ingredients -- it was definitely not anywhere near $12, and it smells better than the store-bought version I had, too. If I had to guess, this probably cost well under $1 to make.

P.S. -- My previous backstock of dry shampoo was Batiste! I used to love Batiste, as it was a light spray, it was marked vegan and it was available in local stores. Until I learned Batiste wasn't actually vegan because it wasn't actually cruelty-free as their parent company tests on animals. Also some vegans have received some very strange customer service from Batiste where Batiste is claiming that a) they are Leaping Bunny certified when they aren't and b) it's proprietary info as to whether they're sold in China or not (China requires animal testing for some products).  Batiste is still on the pending list on Logical Harmony's site due to no response after several tries. 

4 comments:

  1. Well done, Budget Master! I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE. I've seen so many cute indie brands selling expensive dry shampoo, and nearly all of them could be made at home for what, two bucks for a six-month supply? It makes me shake my part-time-tightwad fist at the sky. Dirty hair is SO socially unacceptable that companies can charge anything they want for remedies, apparently.

    I use cornstarch + a little cocoa powder + whatever essential oil or perfume I have lying around. Someday I'll find a gorgeous shaker to give me that fancy-lady feeling, but for now I have a plain metal sugar shaker. I recommend making small batches so that you can switch scents regularly.

    Cocoa powder has two downsides: the fallout shows up easily on one's bathroom sink/shower/floor, and as soon as my head starts sweating, I get a whiff of cocoa. Not the sexiest association.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of the sprays are a little more formulated (in that I can't mix those chemicals or make a spray like that) but yep, the smaller companies almost all have the same stuff! Some of the clays seem like they might be a good add but if this keeps working out to be suitable, why bother?

      Good idea re the smaller batches. I wished I'd made mine orange instead of lavender so maybe next round!

      Delete
  2. Ah, I didn't even think about sprays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it. Vinanza Grape

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.