2.01.2017

Mostly Trash.

Okay, as a distraction for the frightening consolidation of power happening in American politics, as well as the shock-and-awe strategy that #45 has barfed out the first few weeks in office, I'm going to start blogging about what I used to blog about. Clothes - which now seem to be incredibly surface and unimportant though, ironically, there is so much lip service in #45's administration to bringing manufacturing jobs back to the US. It feels weird to me, as someone who has tried support USA-made stuff for years now, knowing that #45's businesses outsourced their own stuff with no mention of labor standards and yet this was a successful campaign platform. Sadly, US manufacturing is the least of our worries at this point, though, now that basic civil liberties are on the line again along with undermining honest media.

Facebook recently gave me a "friend anniversary" reminder for someone I've known longer than I've been on Facebook and when I did the math I realized that I've been friends with him for over 20 years. Where did we meet?  A pro-choice protest in DC where Fugazi and Bikini Kill were playing. I've literally been showing up for demonstrations for women's right to choose for over two decades. Looking forward to the next two decades of fighting back, I guess. Hope to see you out there. (Speaking of -- thanks other countries! I think this is the first time a president of ours has literally been protested publicly by multiple other countries!)

Anyway -- clothes, makeup, cats.

For a while now, I had soured on scouring thrift stores for stuff. I think everyone's noticed that most of what can be found is fast fashion with a bad fit, made of bad fabric or is just poorly constructed. Longevity of a q-tip, but still $15. (I know it retailed for the same price, thrift store!) But I do still believe that reusing what's here is best ethically (though I limit my finds to vegan ones) and I finally jumped back in at a local Goodwill.

I found 3 tops -- one of which didn't work out and is getting donated, this cotton Madewell sweater and another black/gray geometric (and synthetic) sweater. And a small yellow Pyrex dish for $.99!


So I guess not every single thing is literally trash these days. Just most of it.

5 comments:

  1. "So I guess not every single thing is literally trash these days. Just most of it."

    Yeah. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I like the moniker #45.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't bring myself to deal with his name - every mention feels like lip service. Also, #45 reminds me that there will be presidents after him (hopefully, if we're still allowed to vote by that point).

      Delete
  3. I love that sweater, and am looking for something very similar right now. I need to hit my local thrift stores...once I find out where the good ones are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was hand-wash I guess and I machine washed it so I don't have it any longer! I do still have one of them though! And the vintage Pyrex! You win some, you lose some I guess.

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.