10.03.2016

Don't feel bad about paying a tailor to do something you'll never actually do.

I find myself posting here less and less because I wear a lot of the same stuff. Which is great. I no longer have a ton of angst over what to wear or buy and I'm not sure exactly what changed but...actually, who cares?

I feel like I'll pop in here to either share a brand I found or like, share vegan, "green" or labor standards stuff or just to say "hey, this is my uniform" and while I wish I was better at DIY projects, they usually fall by the wayside. But today I do have some semi-DIY news - I am wearing a Mary Meyer galaxy biggie shirt. (I think that's the name of the cut.) 

Originally the neck opening of this shirt was just way too big and the shirt fell off my shoulders. (Something I find with Uzi's one-size stuff, too.) And it was such a bummer because I thought I'd wear it but then realized how much I hated it either being a one-shouldered shirt or it drooping down my back as a semi-backless shirt. Thankfully before I stuck it in the give-away pile, I realized I could bring it to a tailor and have them just make it a more normal neck seam. They'd just need to bring in the neck hole and round off the extra fabric on the inside, near my shoulders. It was a fairly affordable fix for a shirt I'd already dumped some money on - and now I still get to wear it. MEND AND MAKE DO AND ALL. 



I'm glad I finally came to terms with "outsourcing" my DIY because if I left it up to me dragging out the sewing machine and realizing I need to re-learn how to thread my bobbin for the 50th time in my life, it would never have been completed. So that's my lesson - don't feel bad about paying a tailor to do something you'll never actually do. 

8 comments:

  1. I never thought to do this -- adjust the neck hole. Brilliant. Will file for the next time I need to fix a too-drapey item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found that useful! It was definitely an "Oh...duh!" moment for me when I realized it could be done and I came pretty close to just donating the shirt.

      Delete
  2. Hear hear! I'm hopeless when it comes to my mending projects, unless it's something quick and easy like switching buttons. The stuff just sits in a pile and my sewing machine stays in the closet. I had a pair of trousers fixed by a seamstress a little while ago, and felt a little stupid for not having done it earlier. Outsourcing is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have sat on stuff for much much longer than I'd like to admit!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the hard part is figuring out that you're never actually going to tackle a project. Sometimes it'd hard to know...

    I've had a pair of my childhood dolls sitting around naked for oh, ten years maybe, and I still haven't gotten around to making them any clothes. It's tempting to take them to a tailor, just to see the tailor's face. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anything that requires a pattern or creativity like that would go to a pro sewing person vs a tailor? I feel like tailors can alter (unless they note they also do pattern work)? Is that just a NYC thing?!

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't really pay anyone for doll clothes. I can sew, I just don't feel like it. The dolls can sit around naked awhile longer.

      Delete
    3. Oh! I totally would so you can see how I thought you were serious! :D

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.