6.15.2016

Rock Fish!

Last year I bought this dress from Twitch Vintage via Etsy. She had a second one at the time in a black/white print but I passed on buying two. It took me forever to actually wear the dress and now that I have, I've discovered that it's comfortable and looks decent when paired with a necklace and can almost pass as a dress even though it really feels like "Hey, I'm wearing beach cover-up!" I have a pretty low bar for that kind of stuff so, your mileage may vary. Most of my favorite dresses are sack dresses. 

The brand is M. Mac and I figured I'd see if anyone has one for sale on Etsy or eBay, just curious. You know, not at all compulsively trying to buy other colors or prints of the things I like. And I found an overstock page that noted the apparel was all USA-made, which prompted me to look for their main site -- which is here -- and followed up with their Client Services to confirm their stuff is indeed US-made. It is! Made in Southern California!



^ M.Mac dress, necklace I had to fix, sweatshop slip ons ^


I totally get that at face value, it's not a brand that has me as a demographic buuuut I do like the black, roomy, boxy dresses with geometric prints. Those are totally in my wheelhouse. (I'm wearing model #3024.) They also offer sleeved versions, a maxi and a short babydoll dress (#4033), all fairly affordable for US-construction. 

I figured I'd share in case anyone else was interested in them. I am always supportive of good ol' mom and pop businesses that are USA-made. And you might wear more color than I do? 

6 comments:

  1. I'm just entertained that they put "world famous rock fish dress" in quotations. A mistake, or a touching bit of self-awareness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also the design mention ("Rock Fish") was in quotes so I suspect it was more of a emphasis type of quote - like folks do.

      Delete
  2. cool! I clicked around on their site, the babydoll in the owl print would be so cute. They have a skulls print too ha ha! except I am so used to only buying thrifted clothing that when I see actual real prices on clothes I am always completely sticker shocked and like whoa. even though I have two degrees in textiles and totally know the work that goes into design/production especially for made in US small business... and from looks of it is probably high-quality work, so I get it. Though their pricing does seem like it has quite a boutique mark-up and completely out of my budget. It is cool they do sell some overstock via eBay. *** Also man, seeing stuff like this always makes me think dang I should use those stupid degrees and start my own made-in-US boutique priced clothing label. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I thought those were very reasonable for a small scale company, honestly, given some of the other pricing tiers out there with much larger scale and definitely not as nice construction or materials! The dress I have is pretty old but it's totally really solid construction and the material is a little worn but sturdy enough that it just feels comfortable vs "worn" if you know what I mean. But I agree - I think you'd do very well using your expertise!

      My POV of thrift stores in NYC is that they've long ago gotten hip to the game and places like Housing Works and Goodwill are easily charging $20+ for dresses and the like, in my recollection.

      Delete
    2. Wow! Dresses down here in NC are max $6 at Goodwill and that is on the high end for thrifted clothing pricing... can still get certain color tags for 50% off at Salvation Army. Just bought a good quality, simple black cap sleeve Gap maxi dress (that I promptly cut to knee length) at a more regional thrift for $2.50

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I think NYC is special that way. The worst is when they pick through them and think they have something better than they actually have - I think that's mostly a Goodwill thing as Housing Works seems to know what they have.

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.