5.02.2016

Nail polish, facial serum & moisturizer with SPF (all the hard topics)

Embarrassingly, after my last post lamenting that there's no such thing as "spring black", I passed a number of store windows that were almost entirely spring/summer black. I stand corrected, World. 

Last week was the Spring Bust Craftacular and I was excited to see that Floss Gloss would be there, as I only find a few of their polishes at local shops vs the whole inventory so I was happy to see them on the docket. I was also excited to see Armour lip gloss on the list but they haven't expanded any of their vegan glosses and I already have all 3 of the vegan ones so I give up there until something changes. (I would link it for you but when I tried to visit their site I just got a warning that I "might see naked people I know" spam so, good luck to you if you embark on your own.)

Floss Gloss is a vegan brand of 5-free nail polish. Their brushes are shorter than most polish brushes so it's easier (for me) to handle. I totally recommend the polish brand -- the colors are great, the manis last a while, the brush makes application easier and I love that they advertise that they're a vegan brand. (I have about 6 of their colors and I'm sure they've all made appearances on my IG in my wildly unpopular Instagram mani posts.) At this point when I buy new polish, it's almost all Floss Gloss. My only other go-to is the LVX gel top coat (it forgives many sins).


^ Floss Gloss's El Capitan ^

Also this isn't an endorsement of that lip balm 
- it was a beauty box item that I've been trying to use up 


In DIY news, I tried to make another round of carrot seed oil facial serum that didn't smell like...well, carrot seed oil. The smell goes away almost immediately after application but still, who needs to smell like a damp forest log even temporarily? 

What do you do with this serum? Add it to your daily moisturize to help moisturize -- carrot seed oil is supposed to be a good "anti-aging" oil, which basically means it's moisturizing and can maybe temporarily help with fine lines but let's be honest. If something is truly "anti-aging" it's some dark magic shit. 

This serum is basically jojoba as a carrier oil with carrot seed oil and then lavender to cut the carrot seed smell. (Basic 3-ingredient serum recipe I used.) It worked only minimally better than the carrot seed oil on it's own. This is what I get for trying to recreate a really expensive brand's serum! I suspect the carrot seed oil needs to be cold-pressed to have less of an odor but until I'm done with this bottle and try a cold-pressed carrot seed oil, I guess I'll never know. There is suspiciously little about carrot seed oil and masking its disgusting smell online so if you have some insider knowledge, please lay it on me. 



^   the whole thing is like 2oz of jojoba oil, 
maybe 4 drops of the offending carrot seed oil 
and 6 drops of lavender oil  ^

In final skincare news, I've been trying to find a non-thick, non-greasy SPF 30+ daily moisturizer that's vegan (and thusly also not tested on animals). You'd think someone would have this on lockdown by now and product choice would be pretty obvious but, nope. I bought an Andalou BB oil control cream thinking the "oil control" part of it would mean it wasn't thick. This could not have been a more incorrect assumption, but I am trying to use it anyway. Then -- insult to injury and making me wonder exactly how old my brain is -- in cleaning out my makeup and skincare stuff, I found not one but two SPF 30 Andalou creams I was using earlier in the year, so I don't know how I'm going to get through all of them. I have to add a serum because they're so thick and once summer proper hits, these will be a no-go. Then, to really just layer on the buyer's remorse, I learned that there's an SPF 30 serum you can mix with your regular moisturizer made by Andalou. The For the Love of Vegan Makeup FB group is great...but just a moment too late on that one, damn it.


^ the day I found 2 more of the same product I just bought already in my house ^

I think that's all I have in makeup and skincare news. 

In non-makeup and skincare news, I:
  • Have started watching Orphan Black like 20 years too late (OMG! I love her)
  • Am hugging my not-so-healthy cat Ollie a lot, and just staring at her a lot, too
  • Rewarded myself with a new Sonny Angel (not eco) for doing my laundry the first time in like 2 months (super eco) because I'm an adult and I can do what I want
  • Am learning how to use my new Instant Pot (minimally eco re energy usage but not in buying a new thing)


7 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a good moisturizer with spf 30 for years and my pores always gets so clogged... The selection of potential products in Finland is crappy (I've never seen Andalou here), which makes things difficult, and of course when you buy stuff online, there's no way of knowing if their definition of non-greasy or light or what have you, is the same as yours. Ugh.

    Orphan Black is awesome - we binge-watched late last year.

    And poor Ollie, I hope she gets better. I know the feeling, re: hugging and staring. Feels like I've had to do that way too much in the past couple of years. It never gets any easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why the whole SPF daily moisturizer is an impossible dream. We have spaceships, but we can't have a non-greasy SPF?

      I wish I had watched Orphan Black earlier - I had no idea what I was missing. We only got as far as them introducing the blonde one.

      Ah, I know we've both had such bad luck with cat health these past years. I'm sorry you're experiencing it, too. In the past 4 years I've lost 3 cats and 2 grandparents. Unfortunately 3 of my remaining cats are in the 13/14 age range so I'm guessing that is just going to be the next few years of my life, still. I wouldn't trade having them for anything, though, of course! So worth it. <3

      Delete
  2. So I dunno know if you know, but I've had FOUR melanoma, so I have to be really careful about sun exposure. This is what I've used on my face for the last seven years. I love it.
    http://www.keys-soap.com/ostore/product.php?productid=213

    It's ranked very well on EWG website, it's made by a melanoma survivor and the UVA and UVB protection is high. Plus it doesn't sting my eyes when I sweat, and it's easy to rub into your skin.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/617150/Keys_Care_Solar_Rx_Moisturizer%2C_SPF_30%2B/

      Delete
    2. I've heard good things about this. How matte/non-matte is it?

      Delete
    3. Sweet, thanks Kittee. I will definitely try this out!

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.