12.14.2015

Unbalanced - how I had to fix a $50 twine and bead necklace

This past summer, I spent $50 on a cute chunky geometric-ish necklace at a cute shop in Cape May. I assumed it would wear as it hung in the store and as it was designed:


However, when I wore it for more than 10 minutes, it looked like the photo below. Which is not really what you'd expect for a $50 necklace made out of some beads and canvas cord. Like, you'd think the mark up was partly for it's smart design. So I emailed the small company that makes the necklace and sent this picture where it's chilling out all wonky and their response was to say that this necklace from their earlier collection wasn't well balanced and they could offer me a discount on a new necklace, since their new lines purportedly didn't have the same issue. I felt like if you sold me a necklace that's essentially defective, you could have offered to either give me store credit for a necklace that can actually be worn as a necklace or replace it with a necklace you've made that can actually be worn as a necklace. Given the customer service engagement and uh, the idea that someone went into the jewelry business and didn't effectively balance a necklace they sold widely I figured I didn't actually want a new necklace from them anyway -- and thought I had just lost $50.


I was kind of dumbfounded by the experience and kept thinking, "How do you put together a necklace that doesn't even wear well when that's your business? How hard could it be to do it right?" So I decided to see how hard it was. I mean, I had some extra black cord and all the existing pieces from the necklace. It's possible I could reconfigure it into something wearable, right? Or I might need one more bead as a counterweight and I can order a handmade one off Etsy or something?

I untied the thing and took out the one or two knots they'd put in to try to keep the beads in place. I knew the black arc at the bottom would obviously stay there and so I took the other beads and tried to group them so that they would be somewhat equally weighted on both sides. There was some slippage even when they seemed to be weighted equally (although nothing like the photo) so I put some knots in at the top of both sides to keep them in place.


And it wears fine. I thought I was going to have to get into postage scale weighing levels of effort but holding the beads in both hands and trying to guess the weight worked out okay. And while I like the original design better, this one is not displeasing, if I can compliment my own construction. (Which I totally just did.)

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" and all.

6 comments:

  1. That is incredible, both the selling a technically bad necklace and the customer non-service.
    However, I actually prefer your new arrangement as the sphere atop cylinder immediately looks human-approximating to me, which lets down the supposedly geometric design IMHO. So yours is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, that was not the response I was expecting but it is what it is. I'm just glad I was able to salvage something.

      Delete
  2. Man, way to go trying to notify the company. That is really annoying that they didn't have a better response, though. And good job fixing it! I like the new design better, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate! I know, I thought if it was mine I'd want to know and I wasn't expecting the response I got. Just glad I was able to alter it to something wear-able!

      Delete
  3. Your design is very cool, and whoa! at the company's response! (So basically they told you that yes, we know the product is faulty, but please take a moment and spend more money on another product. How silly!)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.