11.02.2015

Happy belated Halloween, love, your horrible blogger friend, Jesse

I know it's not even the day after Halloween but the day after the day after Halloween - so I'm pretty late in posting a Halloween post but, as procrastinators love to say, "Better late than never." aka #tardy4life

My costume this year - Andy Warhol. And I didn't even have to carry around a Campbell's soup can all night. I usually try to avoid buying a bunch of Halloween-specific stuff for my costumes so the fact that I only needed to buy a vintage Polaroid Swinger was appealing. I was going for non-suit Andy and I already had a) a black turtleneck or striped shirt, b) a blazer, c) Ray Bans or clear frames, d) dark pants and dark shoes. I avoided wearing stuff I wear all the time (striped shirts) so the costume would look less like me.  (Word to the wise: I neglected to get a Polaroid that had a neckstrap -- don't they all have them, for f's sake!? --  so I ended up duct-taping ribbon down the back, which failed on me twice that night but was good enough. But you should get one with camera strap loops already.)


The hair. This was a combination of Batiste and talc plus hair spray. I was basically off-gassing Batiste and hairspray aerosol all night. (Plus fake-dandruff shedding.) I tried to get better ideas for how to create white hair without having to buy scary-chemical Halloween hair spray but the talc/hairspray combo was the best DIY I found online. I am usually impressed with DIY stuff I find online but this was an exception. I found makeup message board where the author of the white hair quandary was unaware that scary-chemical Halloween hairspray existed and was delighted there was an answer to all of her problems. And hey guys, don't judge her for being really daring and wanting white hair for you know, a wacky choice like a Bride of Frankenstein costume. Please don't let me digress into the insecurity of women to not be something conventionally attractive for Halloween. Let's cue Lindsey Lohan as zombie bride in Mean Girls and move on.  Summary: this was the best I came up with but if I had to do it again, I'd try a little harder to figure out white hair that doesn't shed.



As for wins on the internet DIY front, these pepper jack-o-lantern dip holders were my favorite. As per usual with most of the foodstuffs-with-faces I like, they are recommended for children in the original blog post. The dip kind of smooshed out of their faces a little bit but whatevs, it's Halloween. (The big white things are hearts of palm.)



We also carved pumpkins this year. (I like Halloween and all but we have friends who really like Halloween so all of this stuff was for those events.) I picked a tiny one, mostly because I hate scooping the guts out and also because they're just going to get composted anyway. Oh, and also because I'm an underachiever I know my limits. Another bonus: my pumpkin was less than $2. As expected by all, I created a teeny tiny cat-o-lantern while my boyfriend free-styled a complex jack-o-lantern that looked flawless in essentially the same amount of time. 


Turns out the teeny tiny cat-o-lantern was a sound decision, though. As soon as we put our pumpkins outside, they began their race to the death and my smaller pumpkin was more structurally sound. Sorry, Better Pumpkin.


Mother Nature truly gets the last laugh. We need to scrape the flattened pumpkin bodies off our fire escape and get them to the city composting drop off next week. Good one, Nature.

4 comments:

  1. Those carved bell peppers are super cute. It all looks great actually. I like your Warhol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do Halloween well. That costume...top notch.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.