7.02.2015

TL;DR

Remember blogs? Reading blogs. Writing blogs. Ah, those were the days. If you're reading this, I guess you're still out here sometimes too, in some way. High five.

I'm not one of those people who transformed their blogs into an Instagram account or another microblogging platform. I just kind of went away for a while. It had a lot do with with getting back on my feet post-illness, then with dealing with unexpected weight gain and struggling with how to dress myself at a different size, then being out of the habit of blogging and also both sloth and IRL stuff getting in the way. Even if that IRL stuff is a lot of work and also watching all seasons of The Wire and bringing up Omar Little in every conversation possible. Also I got kind of into Jamberry manicures?

Outfit
necklace from our apartment building's free pile
shirt by Mary Meyer, made in Brooklyn


Also, the increased sexual harassment that happens in the summer months really makes me just want to wear a giant flour sack at all times and smear war paint on my face. Even though nothing ever actually provokes the comments and it just happens anyway because some dudes are dicks -- like, I can totally envision the "Hey, nice flour sack! Let me see your tattoos!" crap that I'd get anyway.  But thinking about what I look like reminds me of who looks at me and it's a total fucking bummer. When will we invent a cloak that only lets non-assholes see us but makes us invisible to the jackasses? What the fuck, Science. Posthaste.

And it's kind of hard to write about ethical consumption when the answer is almost always LESS LESS LESS. The task of finding the "better-made" is interesting and sometimes fun but the focus really should always be on less. I still haven't gotten there, convinced that some other piece of apparel will make me feel more like "me" in this new skin. I do have some emails in to a seamstress regarding making some dresses from patterns I bought...again. I'm hoping that will actually pan out this time and that I'll like what I ask for. (Or ask for what I'd like.)

There you have it. My state of the union.


6 comments:

  1. Nice to read you again. I remember reading & writing blogs. I am one who basically turned my blog into a micro one. However I don't have a twitter, instagram or facebook so it is my only /hello world/ one liner outlet and therefore I feel OK about it. Pretty much I keep it up for my Mom so sometimes I feel like I should really just go old school take it down and email her everyday. But I keep it up just in case the words come back.

    Doesn't a burka basically serve same purpose as the cloak you are talking about? Interesting to look at it that way. Ability to cover your body because you want to, not because someone says you have to. I am sure you would get just as many looks and comments wearing that too, if not more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogs... I've heard of such things...

    "But thinking about what I look like reminds me of who looks at me and it's a total fucking bummer. "

    Understood.

    "And it's kind of hard to write about ethical consumption when the answer is almost always LESS LESS LESS. The task of finding the 'better-made' is interesting and sometimes fun but the focus really should always be on less. I still haven't gotten there, convinced that some other piece of apparel will make me feel more like 'me' in this new skin."

    It IS hard to get used to a new size and shape. I'd never have believed the psychological difference it's made to me. It's scary how attached I got to my artificially lowered weight...

    I like reading minimalist's blogs for LESS LESS LESS inspiration, but they tend to get less less less interesting once the writer ACHIEVES their desired level of minimalism... unless they find something to write about other than "look at all this time and space I have! Minimalism has given me freedom! Come back tomorrow to hear how free I'll still be tomorrow!"

    I spent an hour or so reading the Zero Waste Home archives, and it made me reconsider the way I live. Not sure what step to take next, but at least I'm thinking again.

    It's great that you're emailing a seamstress!




    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, blogging. Still doing it, but less so, all the time. IRL has something to do with it, but also LESS LESS LESS. I'm close to being convinced that there is an inherent link between being able to create at least somewhat interesting style content, and consumerism. Or at least there needs to be a level of change involved, and sometimes life just doesn't provide one with change... which leads to lack of content, and a dormant blogger, who every now and then notices that it's been a week or two without a single post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm still out here, though i check in less and less. all the blogs i really liked pretty much stopped posting. but i still love looking back through mine so I'm trying to keep it up. instagram ruined it for us (though i love instagram too). i miss the good blog times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I for one missed you, and am glad you're back! Hope the IRL stuff has chilled and all's well again.

    I kind of just (to use a term the kids are using these days) ghosted away from my blog without announcing that I was stopping, but I knew that I was done when I posted my last post. I just lost enthusiasm for posting about the topic, but I'm thankful for those who still are motivated enough to write about their chosen niches.

    Recently I've found a few other ethical fashion bloggers, which is awesome. It seems like more pop up all the time. And I'm one of those weirdos who would be interested in how you are approaching LESS LESS LESS in your life. It's always just fascinating to see how everyone approaches things to see new perspectives/options/views, etc. that we may not have thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel ya on all the points, lady. I stopped reselling because it was always more more more crap crap crap buy buy buy and it never ends. I like stuff/clothes, and yes, at least what I was doing was sustainable, but it's still consumerism. And yes, to hell with street harassment. It's hot as the daytime surface of venus in Florida (hyperbole) midday and I just want to wear tiny shorts and a tank top but my hears can't content with the caterwauling of males in my area, so I find myself picking loser clothes and covering up more, depending on what I'll be doing that day :P and contenting with the back sweat.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.