4.05.2015

Uniform: The Regulars

I've mentioned so many times how much I'd like to have a uniform. A go-to. And then when I wear things to death, I rarely post them here or mention it because they're so second-nature to me that they're kind of boring. So, in the interest of transparency and not being ungrateful that I got what I wished for - here they are - the things I wear/use most often lately:

image
^Everlane boat-necked striped shirt^
^sweatshop skinny jeans^
^leopard print Baggu recycled cotton duck tote^
^Keep Jamal Ramos shoes^
^LA Eyeworks green frames^

They're just easy and they work. All of them. 

I wish Everlane made more dark colored striped shirts because I would buy a few and call it a day. As it is, I wear this shirt all the time, repeatedly, day after day on the weekends. I have a similar shirt I got at a Score! swap years ago but the length is too short for wearing with jeans (it's a tuck-in only kind of shirt) so it's nice to finally have one that's longer.

The Baggu duck totes are more versatile than I originally thought. I can fit a lot in them, although it's sometimes hard to find stuff again. It can be carried by the handles by hand, with a shortened strap on the shoulder or with the lengthened strap as a cross-body and there are days where I use it all 3 ways. I only cross-body it when I have a jacket on since I can't stand how cross-body bags look on me when the strap transects the ladies. 

I find Keep's shoes pretty comfortable and they're a known-quantity and a vegan brand (with monitored manufacturing) so I am happy to keep buying them as my default when I need new sneakers. I wish they made more black-on-black versions with dark soles. I have a pair of Homers and Ramoses in black and I wear them all the time. 

If I'm not in jeans, I'm in an American Apparel tent dress (or similar) with a pair of leggings, a necklace or bracelet and a pair of flats. (Or sometimes, black sneakers.) Which is great. No muss, no fuss.

But now I'm going to have to figure out what to do about a summer uniform. My guess is a cotton tent or shift dress with short sleeves and Cri de Coeur flat sandals. We'll see. My size is still bigger than before I got sick so I'm not sure what will still fit from last year. (I would so rather be on this side of the fence than underweight so I am grateful that I'm no longer watching myself frickin' waste away!) I have a new sympathy for people who have a fluctuating weight and are not sure what's going to fit day-to-day. A flexible wardrobe is downright tricky and having to deal with that on the regular can mess with your head.

{I am fake-reading All the Light We Cannot See in this picture, if you need to know. It's one of the more engaging books I've read that's written in third person.  I usually find third-person writing kind of soul-less and boring so I'm happy to have had this one recommended to me by a coworker. I feel like Doerr keeps a nice pace and is good about translating characters' perspectives in third person.}


17 comments:

  1. I like this look. I am a striped-shirt-skinny-jeans-sneaker type of girl myself :-) Gotta find out how to get this tote in Germany...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My striped Everlane shirt finally shipped! Excited for it, but I'll be tucking it away as I'm currently 23+4 weeks pregnant with twins and so it won't fit for a while. I love uniforms, too. Striped shirts are definitely on my list, and I love comfy, flat sandals when it's warm out.

    For cross-body bags, try wearing the strap above the girls, instead of between them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've tried that but it feels weird. I don't know - I think I'm just weirdly picky over certain things! I saw your shower pictures on Instagram! You look great!

      Delete
  3. i've been looking for some good vegan sneakers, i'll have to give Keep a try. And All the Light We Cannot See FINALLY came up for me on my library hold list! i can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Keeps! I will say that they're really flat though so if you need arch support (like I do), you'll want inserts! They're not supportive like Sauconys or other brands like that.

      I feel like I liked the beginning of All the Light - I am curious to hear what you think!

      Delete
  4. I suffer from extreme bloating a lot of the time, and it's annoying that a dress that is loose in the morning may be uncomfortably tight in the afternoon - or may not be. This is especially annoying because I prefer a waist-defined silhouette. A lot of my clothes require waist darting even when I'm maximally bloated, so I adjusted the darts on some of my old dresses, added darts to a few of my summer blouses so they're structured but still loose on my waist, and maintained a collection of elastic waist skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good idea, Sarah. I am in the market for more elastic-waisted skirts but haven't run into any nice ones so far this season at resale shops.

      Delete
  5. You look so comfy, yet chic! Love the glasses! I haven't read that book yet... I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Definitely curious to hear if you check the book out!

      Delete
  6. So cute - I love your uniform! I read an article this week about a woman who wears the exact same thing to work everyday and a part of me was like, "that's genius!" but then I tried to imagine myself doing it and I think I'd get really bored. Still, I appreciate those who can pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that also. I thought it was a valid point that a superior was concerned about her financial and mental well-being. I do feel like if we wear the actual same things to work over and over (and it's not something that "disappears" like a suit with different shirts, etc), it does look bad and can be professionally damaging. That said, I like the idea of the same cuts and shapes that always fit together - like adult Gr'animals - so I appreciated the intent of the article!

      Delete
  7. Got myself the duck tote! Yippiieee! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! I hope you like it and find it as versatile as I do!

      Delete
  8. I thrifted a St. James striped top a while back that is made in France, and is AWESOME!! See if you can find one on ebay? They have a great thick knit feel. I too would still wear American Apparel dresses like I used to a few years ago, they're just way too short for me now :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you look good! Love the lipstick with those glasses <3 I only have one everlane secondhand item, and I really like it, have considered buying more for basics. How's the quality? Mine has a fair bit of piling that I have to remove after every use. <3 Ps. That's interesting about third person vs. first person. I often find first person too whiny and self-absorbed ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. At last, All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel Audio-book is now available on AudioBooksNow.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.