3.02.2015

5 Ethical Style Things I Did This Month: February

In January I tried my hand at ripping off another blogger's concept of listing 5 ways I had ethical style habits. (The Non-Consumer Advocate does 5 Frugal Things, which I read both as a voyeur and as an "eco" reminder from time to time.)  I figured I could at least commit to doing this monthly.

5 Ethical Style Things I Did in February:

1) I mended or fixed 3 things: a skirt, shirt and bracelet

2) I ordered clothes from People Tree when they had a sale and returned everything that didn't fit well or I didn't love (People Tree is "sustainable" and has decent labor practices, so that part is good as well -- but this is more about being a selective shopper than where I shop.)

3) Co-hosted a vegan ladies clothing swap. Unfortunately the snowy weather meant it was under-attended but some swapping was done, indeed. I ended up with 1 dress, 2 shirts for the gym/yoga (striped pullover hoodie & tank), a scarf, pleather leggings and a black shirt with sheer inserts. I unloaded a bunch of stuff, including shoes. Leftovers are being picked up by an area thrift store.

4) Purchased something I think I'll wear all the time -- an Everlane long-sleeved striped top. For better or worse (whether trite or not), I have a fondness for stripes. As far as long-sleeve striped shirts go, I have ones of the tighter variety, which I only wear with a more voluminous bottom to balance how tight they are. That means I have nothing to wear with jeans (which are always skinnies - sorry, trends). So, this fit the bill as I know I will wear it to death and it's a decent company. I was surprised by how sturdy it is and I've worn it a bunch already.

5) I finally wore the Betina Lou bamboo/acrylic sweater dress I got this summer. I bought it and then suddenly decided I was only ever wearing leggings and tent dresses or jeans. Hoping that the more I wear less-worn pieces, the less bored I'll be with my wardrobe and less tempted to buy more.

image
^ betina lou dress ^
^ golden ponies shoes ^
^ maggies organics tights ^
and O'timothy the cat, rescued from outside 
in Park Slope on 11th St., over a decade ago

3 comments:

  1. I had a night a few weeks back where I finally sat with my damn "to fix" pile and fixed most of it! It felt good. Why do we put these things off for so long?!

    I was also really lucky and found an Everlane coat at Buffalo Exchange (tags and all!!!) and it's actually really awesome. It's sewn better than some of my fancier stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean had a clothing exchange when I visited her in January (my first experience, very enjoyable). She served a variety of vegan cheeses and other vegan refreshments: fruit, veggies etc).

    The striped dress looks cute on you! I confess I buy more than I should, but I try to shop American and Canadian, also lots of thrifting.

    I admire you for the compassionate person you are in all respects for people, animals and our world. I made a little collage for International Women's Day of some of the women I admire and inspire me! I hope you like the photo I chose of you. I added a link to your blog.

    Thank you for being part of my blogging adventure!!

    ♥ carmen

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.