2.02.2015

Mending: it doesn't suck as hard as I thought

I'm not the craftiest person out there so I hesitate to do my own mending. I know how to thread a needle and I have a sewing machine but have bad flashbacks of fighting with bobbin-winding so I never use it. Recently I cleaned out my office organization boxes and got all my hand-sewing and jewelry stuff in the same spot and knowing where it all was made it hard to make mending excuses. I watched Gilmore Girls on Netflix while mending so fueled by my hate of Loreleis, I actually managed to fix so stuff.  (Stars Hollow hate watch.) Success!


Mending

^ the challengers ^


1) cat nail-made hole in snake print shirt
2) broken bracelet
3) too small skirt needs button moved


Olivia

^ the offending cat, Olivia ^


Mending

^ fixed a broken bracelet by attaching a new jump ring ^


Mending

^ moved a button over an inch to make this skirt fit me ^


Mending

^ using a sewing book diagram, did a really sloppy job darning ^

Super professional? No. Free and DIY? Yes. 

10 comments:

  1. I've also done a lot of sloppy DIY sewing to make my clothing fit better and lengthen its life. Unfortunately, one of our cats ate a sewing needle that fell out of my cheap case, so it ended up costing a lot more than tailoring would have :( She had emergency surgery and made a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, that's one of my biggest fears. I am glad she is okay. My guys like to eat string and ribbon so I would not put this past them. I have a hard case and pin cushions and everything stays in my hands or inside the case but I'm always paranoid of accidents like that happening.

      Delete
  2. Nice work! I've been meaning to post about my mending projects... you may have inspired me to get crackin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to say--- I've been watching Gilmore Girls for the first time, and complaining about Lorelai to anyone who'll listen. She's so snarky and sarcastic, then surprised when people react badly. In real life, people would either slap her or avoid her. And yet, I keep watching...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I remember liking it the first time around and now I kind of hate everyone except the supporting characters.

      Delete
    2. I always knew we were soulmates.

      Delete
    3. I can't help it. I see Lorelai's faults, but I'll love her, and G.G. forever.

      Delete
  4. I actually really like mending. It makes me feel useful somehow. It's my dream to have a mending circle instead of a sewing circle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to mend all the time, even darn socks, an art my mom taught me. It does feel rewarding to fix something instead of throwing it away, in our disposable society. I keep the things that need fixing together too, it helps. But the problem is, the pile keeps growing faster than I can fix them. :-( rather like my ironing pile!

    ♥ carmen

    https://fashionableover50.wordpress.com/2015/02/14/vegan-dinner-at-cambridge-mill-with-dvf/

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.