2.24.2015

How I am surviving winter

Winter is officially kicking my ass. Work is busy. I have worn the same street salt-encrusted rubber ankle boots for months now due to snow and ice and the necessity to layer socks for warmth. This morning I actually surprised myself while peeling off layers in my office - I'd forgotten half the layers I had on. "Oh, I had another scarf on? And this vest? And this is what I'm wearing today? Delightful!" You know what's cool? Being inside. And you know what's even cooler? Summer.

Vaute couture
^ Vaute Couture Emily in Luxe
^ Baggu leopard print duck bag ^
^ Maggie's Organics leggings ^
^ REI socks ^
^ sweatshop rubber boots ^

So, this is what I'm doing to deal with winter:

  • Wearing warm coats. Vegans don't do wool or down so until recently coat selections has been pretty limited, especially if you're hoping for decent labor standards. Not surprisingly my go-to is Vaute Couture - they are made in the USA and all vegan. Leanne researches and creates her own fabrics as well. Some of the coats are warmer than others so if you have the opportunity to try them on, you should do so! I have a first season Vaute Coat, an Emily in Black Luxe and a Lori in dark blue (it's the sample). My Vaute and Emily are really warm. I also have a few Spiewaks, including a Sloan - Spiewak makes some vegan options and are mid-weight warm but they don't have any positive labor standards (written about here). However, I still own them so I still wear them to get use out of them. 

  • Wearing warm socks. This is the first year that I've fully understood that cotton is not really your friend in winter. My boyfriend (also vegan) had already been through the ordeal that is vegan-friendly performance wear sock shopping at REI so he helped me sock for socks. (Kidding, it's not an ordeal or that hard if you can read.) And all of those heavy-weight vegan socks are...synthetic. Not cotton. Apparently cotton can get damp and retain cold. It's not wicking. REI has a few gray-blend and green-blend hiking socks that are pretty toasty -- and made in the USA. Unfortunately no black goth hiking socks, though. Yet.

  • Wearing warm under layers. Here is another area where cotton is not really your friend. This year I invested in some shirt and long-johns under layers from Jockey. I had heard (I think in one of the interviews around that t-shirt stories project) that Jockey was striving for decent labor standards and doing a decent job. Their labor info is here. I got black, black and black. If you get some of these, don't be so desperate to wear them that you don't wash them first and then accidentally dye your legs...and then uh, sit on your white toilet seat and transfer dye to it as well.


  • Moisturizing. I am not some basic bitch who is going to tell you to drink water. I am a basic bitch who is going to gush over hand cream. Lush's Dream Cream. Vegan. Not tested on animals. It's why I'm still alive at the end of February. 
Lush

Also, eating a lot of carbs and chocolate. Are you guys still alive? How are you doing?

17 comments:

  1. Oh boy, it is nowhere near as cold where I am as it is in NY, but I am right there with you on the carbs & chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I'd do without either!

      Delete
  2. I reached my edge this week. I can't, anymore. I've given up walking to work... a frozen 10 minutes away. The snow banks are as tall as I am. The useless compost pile is under the snow with no way to wade out to it. We've been shoot icicles off of the eaves with a BB gun. The neighborhood is dotted with passive-aggressive signs about parking spots. The space heater in the bathroom no longer kicks out enough heat. I cannot believe that this can ever end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I feel like I'm trapped in Snowpiercer.

      Delete
  3. "...and then uh, sit on your white toilet seat and transfer dye to it as well."

    Ahahhahahahahaha!

    It's barely even cold here, so I feel guilty when my friends and loved ones fret about the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the sad part was I didn't even notice. My bf was like, "Have you seen the toilet seat lately?"

      Delete
    2. This anecdote keeps getting better.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it's my favorite coat, ever!

      Delete
  5. I'm so spoiled living in Atlanta. As soon as it gets in the 30s I start complaining about the cold and start drinking cups of tea nonstop. I totally admire you staying warm AND socially conscious. That Lush hand cream is one of my all time favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30s is still cold! I complain about 30, too, when we're heading into winter. At this point, however, I find it warm. It's amazing how relative it is.

      Delete
  6. Still Summer here my dear. But I love this survival of winter post. I am busy collecting garment ideas for Winter, and wondering if it would ever be as cold here as it is there. I don't think so. But the weather is changing, so I am no expert. I like your bag. Looks roomy and cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady! It is so good to see you! I don't have your new blog on my reader. It looks like you're doing well - which is so great to see! xo

      Delete
  7. Woah that hood on the Emily coat is really reall good.I love a huge hood in the winter. I actually was going to head to Vaute Couture's bk store to finally try some coats on...but apparently closed b/c they're moving to the city!

    My boots are a hot wreck from all the salt. I am also constantly forgetting what I'm wearing under all my layers...this winter has bee just straight up rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah! Their landlord kicked them out right before the holidays! She is such a trooper. I'm glad she's going to get a new space.

      Totally re rude. Cut us a break, winter.

      Delete
  8. Looks like you guys got our winter - Finland only had about 2 months of proper winter instead of the usual 5. But even then, I'm done with winter already, I'm just... done with it. The temps hover at barely freezing, and there is the added bonus of slush and rain and semi-frozen mud and what have you... the roads are awful and it's cold and damp. The worst type of winter there is!

    I hear you re: cotton and cold weather. It sucks. I found bamboo tights this winter, they are pretty good at keeping my legs warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wearing bamboo today, actually, in dress form.

      Yeah, I cannot wait for spring. I'm so ready.So so ready. I feel like in urban areas we don't even get any of the natural beauty snow has to offer for more than 12 hours. Shortly thereafter everything turns gray, muddy, dirty and filled with dog pee.

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.