10.15.2014

Summoning the pants shopping gods

Some of you already know I was really sick and underweight a few months ago.  I toiled mercilessly to carb-load (which is fun when your stomach works but horrible when it doesn't) and I finally reached my former weight again.  And then it just kept going up -- so for pretty much the first time in my life I was faced with clothing not fitting due to weight gain. Like, no bottoms except leggings and one pair of pants fit.  Meanwhile, we are approaching Fall.  I'm carrying an extra 10 pounds and that's not really a big deal, except needing to wear pants that fit.

Too small
 ^ dire texts ^

 At first I was in denial (because it was gradual), trying to cram myself in my pants anyway.  Then I started wanting to size up, sending frustrated texts to my boyfriend about wanting to have immediate gratification, using sweatshop options.  A bunch of "poor me" inner dialogue trying to justify the easy way out.  But, you know, not really an option.  Thankfully I had someone to text real-time to tell on myself because that's what saved me from doing it.

This weekend will find me sorting through the racks at Beacon's Closet and some other resale and thrift stores to find some bigger items until I've been back to exercise for long enough that I can go back to my older clothes. Please send wishes that the Pants Shopping Gods are on my side.  Or god - surely there is only one.

6 comments:

  1. I think I know how you feel... I've put on a fair bit of weight on my hips recently, and it's really not a problem... except when it comes to my pants and trousers. I can't fit into any of my old, cool, slim fitting pants or skinny jeans. It took me a while to get over the "hmm, I guess these shrank in the wash"-phase. In general I welcome the weight gain with open arms since I've always been underweight, so I should just let go of the old pants I will never fit into... but for some stupid reason I keep trying to squeeze into the old pants every now and then, and sometimes even manage to get to the office wearing a pair of somewhat excruciatingly painful skinny jeans, only to find out that I can't actually sit down properly. :D So anyway, good luck, and be victorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the sitting! Thankfully at work I have a convertible standing desk so I've been able to stand for a bit when the pants were too tight. But yeah, I just need to size up for the time being. Our situations sound pretty similar.

      Delete
  2. Having not so fun health issues myself - it's good to have a few different size options for pants, since weight can fluctuate. When all else fails embrace tights and leggings. : ) Did you end up finding anything at Beacon's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found one pair but I still need to hem them. I finally broke down and got a few more babydoll/tent dresses at American Apparel since those will always fit and I can wear leggings under them. I just got tired of feeling bad that I couldn't fit into pants or uncomfortable trying to get them on...or having to shop for new ones since they're notoriously hard to shop for.

      Delete
  3. Hope you are feeling better now. My weight fluctuates quite a bit and being really short I struggle to get trousers to fit. I love wearing organic cotton leggings from People Tree or Braintree in the UK. They are really comfy and cosy for layering under dresses/ tunics in the colder weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It if makes you feel better, I bought Old Navy jeans in January for JUST this reason, and am donating them this month. But...I also ended up getting Gap outlet jeans to replace them, so ::headdesk::

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.