8.04.2014

Pinterest DIY Attempts: or, how I developed humility

I don't know if I've ever attempted any DIY that turned out exactly how I thought it would, much less any DIYs I've attempted from Pinterest.  A while ago I pinned this orange pig planter and the whitewashed owl with the thought that this would be a super easy craft. (Also I know this look is kind of old news at this point but I need a low bar when it comes to DIYs.)  Apparently getting decent coverage with glossy spray paint is not that easy on figurines with a lot of nooks and crannies.  And if you live in a city apartment, you'll have to sneak into your basement courtyard to spray paint...and finish outside the apartment building doorway once you're locked out of there for the night.


del pint diy


Exhibit A: fake Hummel, damaged Canada goose figurines
(I actually posted these back in March, for full disclosure)

Blog



Exhibit A, after:  several intoxicating coats of paint later
They look less shiny in real life.  Acceptable result.

Blog


Exhibit B: Brian, a sad piggy bank

Bryan


Exhibit B, after: Brian, a less sad piggy bank
whose eyes it took me 4 months to paint on
after he sat there looking like a blind Smurf pig
forever...mocking me.

Bryan

Bryan 

I thought I would do such a pro job on his eyes.  Why would I think this, especially when I can't even do the most basic nail art with the same tiny brush?  No idea.  So poor Brian looks like he's a home craft project but at this point I'm sure he's just glad to have eyes.

Please mollify me with your tales of DIYs gone terribly mediocre, harder than expected or the like. Or link me to easy re-purposing DIYs.  I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess. (I don't use the "u" word here for various reasons.) 

10 comments:

  1. I think the pig looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! He's not really how I thought he would come out but I'm happy to have him.

      Delete
  2. They all look good to me, and certainly cooler than when you started.

    My biggest Pinterest DIY Failure has been the ol' 'cut bottles into glasses using nail polish remover, yarn, and flame!' I've made multiple attempts, many of which didn't even BREAK the glass, let alone slice it neatly like the photos. I've wasted SO much nail polish remover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god - I have seen those and I always wondered if they worked. It looks so easy but seems so crazy!

      Delete
  3. The piggie turned out cute if you ask me ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure what's worse a Pinterest fail or not doing anything at all! Give yourself a pat on the back for even doing it! (this is also why I dont keep figurines in my apt)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I like that point. It's an effort!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.

{comment moderation is ON to avoid the horrendous amounts of spam Blogger keeps letting through!}