5.05.2014

Vegan Style: with Mata Traders

Some months ago, days after wearing my Mata Traders necklace for the very first time I got a funny email.  It was from Mata Traders, asking if I'd be interested in receiving a sample of Mata Traders apparel as part of their blogger program.  The email was funny for me because a week or two prior I had just started looking into the brand, because a local boutique (Flirt, Brooklyn) carried a bunch of their stuff.  Unfortunately for me, none of the stuff at Flirt fit me because they had limited sizes so I was considering ordering a dress or shirt online but started with a necklace.  I really liked the necklace I already purchased myself and the concept behind Mata Traders as a fair labor company (obviously, or I never would have purchased the necklace).  So it was funny when I received the email just a few days after I'd first worn the necklace and thought to sought out more of their brand - so I enthusiastically said yes.  (For full transparency - since you know that's how I roll -  the only ask from Mata Traders was some outfit pictures posted on the blog, with the pieces preferably remixed to help show how to get a few outfits out of one piece, which is something I wish I did more of and I like when other bloggers do it.  So, easy task!)

Mata Traders produces apparel hand made in India and Nepal by women's cooperatives and and has a good description of their work here! Mata Traders is not exclusively vegan (some jewelry has bone) but the large majority of their offerings are vegan.

I headed to the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens in their Pen Pal skirt, silver Global Echo necklace and Crown Point necklace (which I purchased myself!) and here are the outfits.

Mt
shirt/swap
necklace/Mata Traders Global Echo in silver
skirt/Mata Traders Pen Pal skirt
shoes/Cri de Coeur (recycled eco-"suede")

Mt
shirt/swap
necklace/Mata Traders Global Echo in silver


Mt skirt
shirt/resale shop
necklace/Mata Traders Crown Point necklace
skirt/Mata Traders Pen Pal skirt
shoes/vintage pleather via Etsy


Mt
Mata Traders Crown Point necklace

shirt/I'm Your Present via Etsy
skirt/Mata Traders Pen Pal skirt
socks/PACT anklet (family gift!) GOTS certified
shoes/American Apparel

The skirt is a Medium and I think I would have been too large for the Small but needed to take the Medium in a little.  It's a very nice lightweight summer cotton and a really great length and shape. I think the high waist can be flattering and the a-line shape makes it really comfortable to wear.  The length means I can wear it to work, a plus!  And I will never ever turn down pockets.  I had steamed this prior to wearing but managed to wrinkle it hanging out in the garden.  Luckily I'm not too picky about wrinkles but folks who are might need to be willing to put in a little more maintenance.

I have a few more outfits coming up with the Mata Traders Tied and True blue floral shirt as well, which I'm actually wearing again as I type this post.

1 comment:

  1. I like the skirt, it is a really nice summery colour and cool ways to style it. I would definitely consider buying from that brand although not sure I could cope with the ironing of the skirt (I don't do ironing). I love the sunglasses too.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.