3.17.2014

Product Review: Gnarly Whale Beach Waves (aka Surf Spray or Sea Spray)

I started using Gnarly Whale's Beach Waves about a year ago, when Kaelah Bee posted about the brand.  Up until that point had been trying to find a decent surf spray.  I felt like Bumble & Bumble's animal testing policy seemed too wishy-washy and the ingredients were hard to decipher.  Lush's Sea Spray smelled like an eternal hippie perfume factory (and was too thick...and the spray was too direct instead of a mist).  So when an all-vegan brand that focused on minimal ingredients was mentioned, I figured I'd give it a shot.  

Not at all disappointed.  I actually carry around a small-sized bottle of this stuff in my makeup bag.  (We never know when we'll need a little volume, will we?)




Pros:
- ethical, vegan small-business company
- delicious scents **
- can use wet or dry
- effective at providing just a little bit of that beach hair, perfect for cuts that need some texture but not anything as heavy as styling paste


Cons:
- a little more water-based than the Bumble & Bumble version, which means you don't get as much of a "surf" layer on your hair as you would with other products but a plus is that it's much harder to go overboard with product

**So far I've tried: 
Coconut Lime Verbena - sweet citrus smell
Oatmeal Milk & Honey (yep, still vegan!) - this was more earthy but still sweet
Coconut and Peaches - sweet fake peaches smell

I also purchased the Coconut and Peaches detangler, which I like at least as much as the Aubrey NuStyle Organic Detangler & Shine Booster (how's that for a name) I got in a Vegan Cuts Beauty Box. 

So if you're looking for a sea spray, I can happily give two thumbs up to Gnarly Whale's Beach Waves.  This is now the 2014 version of what LA Looks hairspray was for me in the '80s.  Like, it's my go-to.

There are, of course, also DIY sea spray recipes available if you want to try making your own (minimal packaging, especially if you already have some of these ingredients).

6 comments:

  1. Great review. This is something I've never needed, but I like the idea of it and your description of Lush product, so spot on. They're gross. I'm glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you! Oh dear gosh, Lush. I want to like most of their things but there are only a few I actually do like and my main complaints are that they're either too greasy or they stink!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of that brand but this stuff looks awesome! My hair is getting wavier and curlier as I get older and I need something to help manage and shape it. I just checked out their Etsy page and they have a lot of cool products, I need to order some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! My hair is wavy half-way and I find it helpful for that. I've tried their scrub too, as as sample and that was nice as well.

      Delete
  3. So how did your hair turn out with this product though?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.