3.15.2014

More Fun, Less Stuff

I follow a few sustainable living-type blogs that try to create community around sustainable lifestyles and the shared values that go along with it.  Since I'm always struggling with the "want stuff" monster, it's good for me to keep them popping up in my news feed.  You know, to remember that living beings (people, animals) are what matter - and "stuff" only really matters in as much as it can help them address our/their basic needs.  And instead of letting that make me feel seriously guilty for buying anything non-essential when I do pointedly remember that, I just try to use those values that as my guiding voice moving forward.

The cult-y sounding Center for a New American Dream blog recently had this post up, celebrating having more fun, but with less stuff.  And I really like that idea as a reminder that quite a bit of what we really enjoy in life doesn't take a lot of stuff.  Or uses reusable stuff.  Or is stuff we need anyway, like food stuff.

Since most blogs (and often, this blog) have a focus on "stuff", I thought I'd share some experiences where I didn't have to get new stuff, but they made me happy anyway.  I can't say all of these things have no impact on the earth, but just that they don't have an outcome of new stuff being purchased in order to enjoy something, which is something.


Mike Perry show nudes 
^
local studio art

Carrots 
^
packing a lunch


Oona 
^
cats *and* library books


Potluck
^
vegan potluck


Book
^
library books & hot beverages


Art
^
building murals


Savannah sign
^
discovering a neighborhood


Savannah
^
parks


Savannah
^
cemeteries
aka "parks for the dead"

Kraut
^
making your own food from local produce 

Granted, 20 years ago my favorite things to do would have been seeing bands, drinking, hanging out with my parakeets and sleeping so times have changed.  (Although I still really love sleep - and animals, but I have cats instead of parakeets now.)  These days it's more about walking around, looking at stuff, good weather, people and cats. 

7 comments:

  1. I for one am struggling against new stuff as we speak. I'm having a free sewing machine crisis. I have four suddenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four! That's a lot of sewing machines! I am always struggling in this area. I feel like talking about it is the only thing that helps slow it down.

      Delete
  2. Love the art sketches and that food looks yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was - and yeah, a lot of the sketches were alternately funny or really well-done.

      Delete
  3. Some suggestions in this direction:
    Letter writing!
    Movie + Friends
    Lounging in Grass in Public!
    Museum Mania!
    A Fine Hike!
    Friends + Flask = Secret Bar!
    Lessons + Classes!
    Long, long walk or bike ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! And my favorite: Hang out in bed all day with pets, loved ones, or friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your other list and a lot of the things on it but this one is my #1 favorite!

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.