2.21.2014

Just the facts, with Brooke.

I know it's been a while.  It's winter:  uninspiring, trodding, illness-festering, monotonously-bundled-up winter.  But I'm getting back into the swing of actually living -- and while more living doesn't always equal more blogging, it does mean I might have more things to write about.

Blogs are a weird medium for news, even fashion news.  Some blogs are well-researched and others regurgitate whatever press release or other blogs' efforts with little thought to veracity.  When I read blogs I do so with a grain of salt.  Or, more accurately, a hefty grain of thinking critically.  And what I've always wanted to know is:  how do I know if what blogs say is true?  And how do I know that the press release about the latest so sustainable all new materials eco green fashion not-recyclable item is actually true?   And how do I make sure I'm not lying to you, as you're reading this blog and I'm relaying information?

Transparent information is very important to me.  And if I can't have that, I want a transparent discussion about nuanced information, at the very least.

Earlier this week I attended a fact-checking class hosted by Brooke Borel at the Brooklyn Brainery, in the hopes of learning answers to those questions.  While the workshop focused on the perspective of proofing your own work or professionally proofing the work of others before it goes to print, a lot of it was relevant to blogs as we move toward the Publish button. 

Things we talked about were finding reference sources, checking in directly with primary sources (aka people), checking terms and working definitions and so on -- and the responsibility for finding and telling the truth.  Hopefully this information helps me not be a liar in the future!  And that I can pick out lies others make.

If you're in Brooklyn, I'd recommend taking this workshop with Brooke and, if you're not - I recommend finding something similar online or near you!

If you blog, how much do you fact-check what you post?  How do you fact-check?  If you read, when do you try to fact-check what others write?  And how do you go about doing so?


1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting one as I had a conversation around this earlier in the week, the idea that a PR person in a company could be spinning me any old line about ethical production without me being any the wiser. I try to check my facts and tend to find checking in with people directly seems to be best. I don't think I do enough fact checking though and would love to attend a course like this to try and get my information that is posted to be as accurate as I can. I will have to see about an online course, sounds good and helpful course.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.

{comment moderation is ON to avoid the horrendous amounts of spam Blogger keeps letting through!}