10.16.2013

Vegan | Ethical Fashion Links - Bernie Dexter, Feral Cat Day, Streets I Know, and more!

Howdy!  I know I owe people emails.  I promise I am going to answer emails tonight.  This blog is now my accountability buddy.

I finally have a Vegan | Ethical Fashion Link round-up!  But first, Happy National Feral Cat Day, everyone!  It's my favorite holiday and yes, it beats out Christmas because it's that cool!  Like I always say, you're not a real Cat Lady until you've done TNR.

Have you guys heard of Bernie Dexter?  It's a clothing line made in the USA, retro-style.  Amazingly kitsch prints.  But there are some retro-inspired basics there, too.  They are not a vegan brand but the majority of their stuff is cotton!

JanisCottage_1024x1024 bernie dexter

And also, they're having a sale.

The Streets I Know (vegan fashion blog!) has a Tumblr.  Looks like the blaggin' is happening over there vs blogger these days.

Modern Day Charm is volunteering her skills and time for girls and women who were once victims of sex trafficking.  There are so many "what the f##k" moments in this world with how we treat each other (and non-human animals, too) so it is really nice to see someone being thoughtful of how to help others with their time and expertise.

Vegan Chic interviews the woman behind Miakoda (vegan USA-made clothing line), who I follow on Instagram.  (She stands out as the only person I follow who regularly poses in tabi socks.)  I usually don't care how people became vegan or any of that junk I'm supposed to care about as a dedicated vegan but I actually enjoyed her interview.

Thrift Eye posted about two in-house Modcloth brands that have a lot of USA-made (and vegan) options.  At first I read it as all USA-made and that is what you get when you don't read carefully, kids.  You learn the hard way that the kitten-applique circle skirt is...spawn-of-hell "Imported"!  I have already pinned a few vegan USA-made options from those two lines on my Vegan Dresses board.

And finally, it's Blog Action Day, which I just learned about today.  It looks like it originated at Ms Wanda's blog (a blog that has a layout that confuses me and so I just don't follow it?) and other people are putting up labor-condition awareness posts in honor of it - such as:


Apparently I live in an internet-less hole and had no idea this was going on.  It's fine.  I was fully prepared to celebrate National Feral Cat Day so you  know, we all make our choices and I'm glad other people participated.

And finally, can you believe that people make adorable dresses by hand?  Or by-hand-with-machines?  With their own two hands?  I love this. {via Camelia Crinoline}

4 comments:

  1. Hey! Thanks for the mention, I should have thought to have mention the human friendly fashion thing to you, sorry. On the other hand I think not enough is said about National Feral Cat Day - admittedly I may be in a different nation but I think cats everywhere deserve a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did those emails go?! I could never promise that publicly, I hate emails with a vengeance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found out about Blog Action day way late too... and I totally agree w/ the Ms. Wanda's site being a tad confusing.

    LOVE that Vegan Chic has a blog...nice linky roundup :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bernie Dexter wears fur! She is not an ethical designer. Check out her page on Facebook sometime. She's constantly wearing marabou or angora. And what she doesn't wear she sells as "vintage" on her website. Yes most of the clothes she sells is cotton but I have to give her two thumbs down for wearing and promoting the sale of fur.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.

{comment moderation is ON to avoid the horrendous amounts of spam Blogger keeps letting through!}