7.09.2013

Vegan style: Hot Weather Outfits. Rilly Rilly Hot Weather.

I have a blog.  I have a blog.  I have a blog.  I have a blog.  Okay, that should be a sufficient enough reminder for me.

Everyone's talking about how hot it is.  I wore some clothes when it was hot out.  And now I will show them to you and discuss their ethics as related to animals, humans and the environment. 

wore this to: go to the local garden & museum. do errands.

Garden
dress/Dusty Rose Vintage swap dress
bag/Baggu (org cotton, "sweatshop-free' mfg in China)
shoes/Kandals slip-ons, made in Spain, org cotton
sunglasses/sweatshop



wore this to: meet my visiting family in midtown
carry my niece a lot.

photo.JPG
dress/8 year old cotton dress
shoes/sweatshop, worn down to holes in the soles
sunglasses/sweatshop
phone case/miniwiz, made from trash!



wore this to: go to the garden, errands.

photo 1.JPG 
shirt/thrifted
shorts/american apparel
shoes/sweatshop, worn down to holes in the soles
sunglasses/sweatshop
bag/bookhau with custom vegan handle via etsy 
necklace/part sweatshop, part found objects



wore this to:  work! work! work!

photo.JPG
shirt/swap
skirt/Beacon's Closet
shoes/Cri de Coeur vegan brand, Slims 
"made in an ethical, sweat-shop free factory in China"


How ethical are these outfits?  All vegan, as always. A bunch of re-use.  

A few new items that were made with okay-seeming labor standards (the Baggu, Cri de Coeur and Kandals stuff).  Typically I try to aim for US-made when I'm buying new or at least buy from a company whose platform involves valuing decent labor standards.  And while all of these brands do, it's still strange to purchase items from so far away where I really have no idea what's happening. However, it's also true that when I buy US-made, I have no more oversight to what's actually happening 

I recently read Where Am I Wearing? and I now have a different opinion on buying non-US-made.  Before I always considered it to be the more evil of the two...but now I'm not so sure.  I'll probably talk a little more about Where Am I Wearing? in a future post but the premise is that the author visits the countries - and at times factories - of origin of his wardrobe.  And in speaking to the workers, found that their preference would be not to have us boycott goods made in their countries, although they do want us to help secure better labor standards.  

I'm torn on this one because withholding money from an industry is a good way to get them to change.  However.  There is a lot of muddiness around this because we don't buy directly from manufacturers, we buy from brands and they work with many manufacturers.  I will nip that discussion here to be continued in future posts.  But the point I wanted to make was that before I thought USA-made is the best option always if you're buying something new.  Now I'm not so sure.  Having a few purchased-new items in this round that carry okay labor claims gave me an opportunity to try that new thought process on for size.

8 comments:

  1. Love these looks! Those dresses are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bookhou bag, how did you get it with a vegan handle?! I assume you asked, but I am just curious. I love those bags but have never bought one because of the leather (duh).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lauren! Yep, I just emailed her and asked for a waxed canvas handle instead of the leather. Then she put up a custom order for me to purchase. I still poke around her Etsy shop to see what is there and I noticed there are some times that she's busy and doesn't take custom orders so my guess is that you'd just have to time it right. I didn't realize how "big" they were until someone stopped me on the subway to ask me how I liked my bookhau bag and if she could see the inside pocket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are radical! I still think that buying US made is more important, partly because the companies benefit from the cheap labor abroad, when really we should just all fork out more money for preferably locally made goods. It's such a hot sticky mess of course though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you mention it now, Milla - after someone sent me a NYT article on environmental waste standards in Bangladesh I realized there's yet another layer to this. Not only the whole labor issue, but how regulated our waste is. While the US is still way way too lax, it's better than how the standards are enforced (or not) in places like Bangladesh.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you've brought this up and I've just opened "Where are You Wearing" in a different tab so I can read it when I'm done catching up here! I can see how overseas workers wouldn't want us to boycott their products but for us to help them make changes. The pollution aspect is another discussion. A lot of places have fewer regulations and the environment is being destroyed. It's really hard to know what the best choice is. Regardless, you look great in all those outfits! Thanks for opening my eyes to new things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your style. These are all such cute outfits that are totally cute and wearable. Please come dress me! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be really interested to read more on this Jesse. The environment is a massive concern to me in terms of clothing production. The world needs more crusaders like you.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.