7.16.2013

Vegan Nailpolish: Pick Your Poison

Amazingly, when I was 16 years-old, I decided that the nail polish industry was ridiculously needless and that all of the involved chemicals didn't even need to exist in the world if people just stopped getting manicures.  The idea that so much smelly and polluting fluid is produced in factories just for manicures truly floored me.  And this was after several years of tips, wraps and manis.  (It was New Jersey in the late 80s.)

Somewhere in my twenties I started doing manicures again though.  I don't know why.  I wish my 16-year-old brain stuck, honestly.

I was a big OPI fan for a while, as one of the vegan no-testing brands that was pretty durable but when all of the eco n' vegan brands came out, I tried some out but wasn't that impressed.  The only ones I hung on to were Priti (which is "5 free" and vegan) - below.  If you are connected to me on Instagram, you'll recognize that manicure (maybe).


What eco-vegan brands have you tried out?  Which ones do you like and why?  I've heard good things about Zoya and LVX.

Zoya is a nail polish free of toluene, formaldehyde, DBP (phthalates) and camphor.

LVX products are formulated without the use of Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde Resin, DBP, Toluene, and Camphor (so, "5 free").

How about polish remover?

3 comments:

  1. i like the mineral fusion polish it dries quickly and lasts pretty great if i use the top coat too. their remover works great with their polishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big Zoya fan. I use their nail polish remover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may want to check out a.dorn (http://adornnails.com). They have a really great mission behind their products and I really like the formulas. I've never used Priti NYC before, but your manicure is so cute It makes me want to try their shades! :)

    For polish remover, I like No Miss. I've also heard good things about the remover that Zoya makes.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.