3.18.2013

What I Wore Feb-March: Back from the Black Hole

And you thought you got rid of me, didn't you?  But yet here I am, ready to blog a bunch of suspiciously filtered iphone photos anyway.  (And also to respond to comments, finally.  Sorry I am an irresponsible communicator.)

And what ethical fashion news do I have for you?  Not much.  When you're not highlighting newly manufactured products, buying a ton of "vintage" or thinking long and hard about consumption, that's what happens.  Mostly I've just been all "keep on keepin' on" (aka waiting for spring) and just trying not to dress like a hobo.  Or, at least trying to dress like a respectable hobo.

Like so:

photo 3.JPG
scarf:  cheap sweatshop
mustard cardigan:  Beacon's Closet (100% acrylic & toasty!)


Or like so (again, featuring "my nice side"):

photo 3.JPG
cardigan and t-shirt: American Apparel
pins:  vintage and probably via ebay or thrift stores

photo 2.JPG



But then I had to go to a party so I had to make an effort, but not enough of an effort to use my real camera:






























dress:  vintage from Cool Pony
bag:  vintage via Etsy Slinky Whistle Bait
shoes:  vintage pleather loafers via Etsy Le Skinny
tights:  American Apparel
pin:  awesome pin hand-painted by Jeanne D'Angelo, Wandering Genie via Etsy

edited pin and bag


And also I went to work:

photo 5.JPG
shirtScore! swap
beltPineapple Mint Etsy
pants: American Apparel (no f'n wool - it was so hard to find non-wool trousers)

I am trying to wear stuff I don't normally excavate from my closet (those pins, the American Apparel pants, green belt).  You know, all that "shop your closet" crap budget bloggers, sustainability bloggers and your mom tell you to do.  While I wouldn't count my efforts as wildly successful (do you see me wearing a cardigan backwards or a flannel shirt as a skirt?), it did distract me from wanting anything new and made me feel like a little bit of a dillhole for not even remembering buying half the stuff I found laying around my closet and its environs.  So let's consider that pretty-much-aight successful.

4 comments:

  1. I love your party outfit!

    And you know what, actually doing the wartime wardrobe challenge has made me buy more (second hand) stuff. Getting rid of more too, but there is undeniably a part of me that wants to show off new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that you say that! The dress is actually new vintage; a place opened up in my neighborhood last week and that dress was sitting on the rack outside and fit perfectly and was cheap so there is actually new vintage in this post after all. I'd completely forgotten it is new to this blog.

      I absolutely have a similar mental reaction to the WWC. When I posted that I purchased nothing last month and inserted a picture of my cats I remember thinking, "Wow, that was boring" even though it's what I'd consider "successful"!

      It's hard to do even something like the WWC and feel like I have something to post about.

      Delete
  2. Jesse Anne, I spotted your comment over on Nik's blog about how to log bags... I think the reality in wartime Britain was that they were not rationed but just not available in the shops. There was a real shortage of leather in the country, with most being prioritised for army use. In fact, leather was in such short supply that many shoes were made with wooden soles! For the purpose of this challenge, I am just aiming not to buy bags this year. It is not as if I have any shortage of them... If I do succumb and buy one I really don't need I shall count it as two pairs of shoes on the basis of the amount of leather involved. I hope you are having fun with the challenge and that spring has now arrived (unlike here)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this insight, Mrs. M. I was discussing this with my boyfriend this morning and why bags wouldn't be listed and I couldn't come up with any reasonable speculation. What's also interesting to me - since it didn't even occur to me - is that the bags back then were likely leather. I am wondering how to translate this to the bags I purchased - one is a small organic cotton canvas tote bag "ethically made" in China and the other is a large, sturdy bike messenger backpack US-made (purchased as a weekend travel bag and a grocery-toting bag since I walk to/from the food co-op with groceries).

      http://www.chromeindustries.com/bags/backpacks/kirov
      https://baggu.com/shop/canvasduckbag/cobalt

      I'm not even sure the backpack bag counts as "wardrobe" since it's not a regular bag, but a specialized partly-travel partly-transport bag.

      We are hardly into spring at this time - although it's now 10 degrees above freezing on a daily basis, which is a welcome change!

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.