2.12.2013

What is ramie?

When I attended the Vaute Couture show last week, I was surprised to see some of the material listed as "ramie" in the show's program since I'd always seen ramie listed in conjunction with wool - ramie wool.  Flummoxed, I hit the internet for an answer and it turns out that ramie is actually a plant.

It is often blended with wool, which is why you see "ramie wool" or "wool ramie" on clothing labels. It turns out ramie is also blended with cotton (although my short-term memory tells me it has never seen that on a label).

Did you guys know this?  Am I the only one who thought ramie was related to wool?

Ramie!
ramie
{photo via wikipedia}


Where wool comes from:
lumpy from CAS
from
Catskills Farm Animal Sanctuary

5 comments:

  1. That's funny, I've always seen it mixed with cotton and didn't think it was related to wool. At least now you won't miss out on the the ramie clothes! Not that I own any??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recall ever seeing that - that's so strange!

      Delete
  2. Yes! i thought Ramie was a type of sheep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for making me feel not so weird, Teeny!

      Delete
  3. Lumpy has exceptionally cute little hooves.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.

{comment moderation is ON to avoid the horrendous amounts of spam Blogger keeps letting through!}