12.17.2012

Holiday Shopping FOR Vegans: Day 1 - Cold Weather Accessories

I promise that this isn't a hint that I want people to buy me holiday presents -- I thought I'd offer a cheat sheet on how to approach holiday gifts for the vegans in your life.  I've certainly had several confused friends and relatives when it comes to what I do and don't use as a vegan and I've had people shopping for other vegans ask me what to avoid so I figured a little overview might be helpful for those non-vegans (aka "civilians") who are shopping for my people (aka "vegans"). Don't worry, Civilians, I've also included some recommendations so you don't have to do a ton of extra work.

This will be a 5-day series and on Friday a post with links to all will be posted!

Day 1:  Vegan Cold Weather Accessories

Hats, scarves, gloves, mittens, earmuffs...winter accessories are a common holiday gift for a reason - they're useful and you can match the sytle to your recipient.  Bonus:   you don't need to worry too much about size.


You'll want to look for things that have no animal bits - so anything wool (ramie, merino, etc), angora, alpaca and fur is to be avoided as is anything with leather, suede or feather trim.  "All man made" trim, "fabric" trim and the like are a-okay.


Cotton, acrylic, bamboo or synthetic fibers are good (basically anything not animal-hair or animal-hide). There are lot of synthetic material gloves/mittens out there with Thinsulate or other special technical yet non-animal fabrics to keep those vegan fingers extra toasty. 


Faux fur? Two things to think about - 1) there's a lot of faux fur-labeled stuff out there that's real fur so be extra careful and 2) some vegans don't like to wear faux fur, so it depends on your vegan.  (The most common reason I've heard is not wanting others to think they're wearing real fur - not everyone will know that the wearer is vegan and would only wear faux fur.  On a similar tip, some people don't like to promote the look by wearing fakes, thinking it will inspire more people to buy animal fur.)

Here are some options:


recycled cotton/acyrlic content and made in the USA


photo.JPG

photo.JPG



Urban Outfitters - Acrylic with Thinsulate Convertable Gloves/Mittens
acrylic, no labor standards specified ("imported")

photo.JPG


a lot of really nice soft acrylic options
hand-made!

photo.JPG



photo.JPG



a lot of really nice soft acrylic options
handmade by seller (see "About" page)

photo.JPG


Of course, Etsy sellers were easier for me to feature because they have product pictures.  (Although I did try to pick exceptional Etsy sellers!)  There are most likely many many many local options you can find - you don't need to order off Etsy if you're short on time (or there's always Etsy gift cards).

Questions?  Let me know in the comments.

Tomorrow?  We're covering sweet tooths.


* This advice also applies to sweaters, if you're the type that likes to buy clothes for people.

*  If you're looking at fancy lady scarves a la Hermes or ties for a vegan bro, note that silk is a no-no for vegans.

5 comments:

  1. I need a good heavy duty glove to replace my woolen liners and leather shells. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Marty, I don't know that I know of anything off the top of my head but let me think about it or poke around and see what I can find. At this point it won't be anything I have personal experience with, though, so that's a caveat!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jesse.....Thanks for including my hats! I just wanted to let you know that all the hats currently in my shop are hand knit. I'm still working on the pattern for hats made with my knitting machine. The difference between hand knit and machine knit is the same between hand sewing and machine sewing, both are handmade. Ugh, sorry if that comes off "ranty"....just wanted to be clear! Thanks again and cute blog!

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine - no worries, I think that's an important point and I'm happy to adjust the entry to reflect it. I thought it was cool that you'd be working with a machine in the future - I think that's why I included it/phrased it that way. I can only imagine the skill it takes to operate such a thing but I do want to make it transparent that this still means hand-made. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  3. This is a great series, I'm sad I missed it during the holidays. THOSE MITTENS!!! Adorable to the max.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.