11.13.2012

Thrift Wonders - Attack of the (Ceramic) Kitsch

I can never resist the housewares section of any thrift or vintage store.  Less so for acquiring housewares but for rubbernecking at all of the random weirdo stuff that was once mass-produced (or not).

I thought I'd lay a few of my favorite delightful ceramics on you from my last thrift store visit I can't imagine the household these beauties had a prominent or earnest spot in prior, although the last one looks like something I could have found in my grandparents' basement.



Thrift wonders

Thrift wonders

Thrift wonders

6 comments:

  1. That mous house looks like it's missing some mice. The housewares section always makes me a little sad, because I think about the things I've collected over the years that mean something to me, but nothing to anyone else. They'll probably end up on a shelf in a Value Village someday and that makes me not want to buy knick knacks ever again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Mouse House was totally missing some tenants!

      It is pretty sad to think of posessions that way. Also sometimes I think about how the stuff got to the shop -- sometimes it's family albums or letters, old notebooks. Once I found someone's wallet with ID in it. And another time there was a giant card catalog where someone saved every single newspaper ad they placed or responded to, both retail items they were buying or selling but also personals correspondence. It was so so sad.

      Delete
  2. You find great kitsch! And thanks for replying to my comment on your previous post. I agree with you wholeheartedly there is an emotional component to shopping. Here is my secret shopper secret.....I only thrift alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just wondering if it would help if I had a "spotter"! So funny!

      Delete
  3. These are awesome, I had something similar to the first one as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the cutest one in the whole store - you were a lucky kid!

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.

{comment moderation is ON to avoid the horrendous amounts of spam Blogger keeps letting through!}