9.05.2012

Outfit Roundup: Skeeball for Life

People, it's 80 degrees again today.  It's still summer.  I have no interest in pumpkin spice lattes at the moment (or ever) and even less interest in layering at this time.  I am having a hard time thinking about wearing closed toe shoes, even.

I know you guys have mixed feelings about GOMI, but I'm thankful to have their semi-sane commentary regarding bloggers (or anyone?) at NYFW since I find NYFW irrelevant to me despite my reader blowing up with NYFW posts just the same.  (I do enjoy Andrew Mukamal's philosophy on dressing for it though - probably because it would also be mine.  Black dress.  Call it a day.  Stay gold.)

Here we go with the outfit scorecard - what's "ethical" and what's not and what makes something ethical anyway?  This round it's a mix of heavy-rotation sweatshop and American Apparel (who have issues but are minimally "not sweatshop").  I find that I repair and/or rewear some "very me" sweatshop stuff so much that I wonder how it's affected my overall buying patterns.  

We come in contact with sweatshop stuff so often - either we already own it or break down and buy something specific that we love - that I'm always trying to figure out how best to do damage control once I have it.  For me, I think that's making sure it gets used enough that it cuts down on additional purchases.  Meaning:  if I am buying something sweatshop, it better be heavily considered and heavily used.

Skeeball High Score:  300

Untitled
shirt/sweatshop 
^ I wear it so much it's almost "ethical" due to re-wear
American Apparel skirt
pleather sweatshop sandals - cobbled to last several seasons
pleather re-sale shop vintage bag


The Gardens

photo.JPG
shirt/"handmade" screenprint on whatevs shirt, years-old
American Apparel skirt
pleather sweatshop sandals - cobbled to last several seasons
handmade custom bag via Etsy 



Inside:  Bertoias, Board Games, Cat Scratchers

photo.JPG
tunic/Etsy Future Lint's store
leggings/sweatshop
shoes/Mooshoes
necklace/part sweatshop, part found objects


The Gardens 2:  Blinded by the Light

shirt/American Apparel via Beacon's
bag/Matt & Nat via Park Slope stoop sale
skirt/gifted from Sunjo, who never posts
shoes/Mooshoes


Everything is vegan, as always.

6 comments:

  1. Does buying something that was sweatshop at a thrift store make it more ethical? I like to think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so - totally. I forgot that point. Same thing with swaps, I guess. Reasonably, we can't expect everything people buy to "work" so it's better that stuff gets re-used vs trashed. (It's crazy to me that people actually throw clothes in the trash vs textile recycling at least.)

      Delete
  2. Lookin' great! I have mixed feelings about GOMI also, but mostly the stuff over there cracks me up and/or makes me think. So it's all good. Have always had a bit of a crush on fierce observations, quick wit and snarkiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am in the same boat with GOMI. Sometimes it's merciless and sort of sad panda (mostly the body snarking or people who obviously pick on the dumbest small things). But overall I find some truth in what they're saying about certain things and sometimes I'm downright glad someone is saying them.

      Delete
  3. I had no idea you were the one who bought that tunic! It looks great on you and I'm glad it's found a good home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to leave you a comment but then I forgot! Yeah, my full name is not similar enough to my blog name that you would make the connection on your own.

      I love it - I'm wearing it again today, actually!

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.