9.26.2012

Outfit Roundup: Remind Me I Said All This Stuff

Attention:  Internet Folks.  It is now officially fall because I am forced to wear a jacket or cardigan and socks.  Be warned:  the horse sweater cometh.

I've been reading Elizabeth Cline's Overdressed and it is teaching me so many things.  That our used, shitty clothes, by volume, might very well be the USA's biggest export.  And to people who might not want any more shipments in the near future.  That the environmental impact of creating this much clothing (even "green" materials) is SO unbelievably detrimental.  That if you know where your clothing is made, count on the manufacturing plant not paying the person any more than the country's minimum wage.  (Even if minimum wage is not enough to live on.)  And more!

Last fall I got my panties in a knot over the overzealousness of fall marketing and shopping on the internet.  Clearly I don't think we should never buy things - I just bought two coats But it would be nice if, instead of being sold an editorial spread that glosses over sub-par labor standards (and gross animal mistreatment), we actually focused on the well-made, fair-wage stuff available.  Can we take the time to just pick out a few things per season that don't have shitty, unsafe factory work behind them?  Instead of mounds of cheap shit made by underpaid, undervalued folks whose safety is often at risk?  (If you actually do want to do this, what is the biggest hurdle you have?)

And while I'm at it, I'm also going to vent my anger for the haul video gals mentioned in the book who say they'd rather throw a Forever XXI item that didn't fit in the trash vs exchanging it.  (Or textile recycling it.)  And I am shaking my internet fist in the air.  HULK SMASH HAUL VIDEOS.

Okay, off my soapbox!  I will be trying to limit what I buy, increase what I can alter and repair AND figure out the best, most effective channel for my unused clothing.  If you have any good ideas in this area - let me know.  (So, yes, mostly business as usual.)

Now, here's what this post was supposed to be about - how my wardrobe is breaking down relevant to ethics.  No animal hides or hairs, as per usual, so I am still dressing vegan.  There are a few sweatshop "basics" in here, but the bulk of what I'm wearing is pre-owned.  And I even have a repair in here!  (Skinny jeans zipper.  Granted, the tailor repaired it but that just means I supported fair labor and got to extend the life of my jeans.)


I wore this to:  work

photo.JPG
shirt/re-sale, Beacon's Closet
skirt/Sally Jane Vintage, Etsy
shoes & socks/sweatshop


I wore this to:
read Overdressed in the park

photo 2.JPG
pinafore and skull t-shirt/re-sale
sunglasses & sneaks/sweatshop



I wore this to:  work
have a weird herrr thing going on
photo.JPG
Urban Renewal dress (US-made, salvaged material)
vintage belt via Pineapple Mint Vintage
sweatshop leggings
Cri de Coeur/Hearts of Darkness shoes



I wore this to:  work, again

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG
dress/resale shop
sweatshop leggings
Cri de Coeur/Hearts of Darkness shoes
pin/flea market


I wore this to:  
work, see a friend, ride a bike
chat with Oneida
photo 3.JPG
necklace & shirt/thrift or vintage store
jeans/sweatshop? (with repaired zipper!)
Cri de Coeur/Hearts of Darkness shoes




7 comments:

  1. Love this post! Would say more on the matter other than I agree with you about repairing and extending lives of clothes and shopping smart - but it's after 1am and I'm too tired to think straight. Oh, and I too hate the push to just keep buying every season... grr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I see fall spreads it's like, "Oh, yay, jeans and equestrian look all over again. PS - I still have all of my clothes from last winter!"

      Also - so glad to see you around again!

      Delete
  2. Personally, I've been focusing on buying used clothing as much as possible. Not that I buy much clothing in general. I've done a major overhaul on my closet and I'm pretty much happy with everything I have and am in want of almost nothing. A pair of black tights would be nice and I'm still on the hunt for the perfect vegan flat that won't crap out on me after 3 months of constant wear. I'm not sure the latter exists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I'm trying the sort-of the same, with various levels of success. I have black/gray/navy leggings on my list and black canvas lace-up shoes that don't fall apart as well.

      Some of my Hearts of Darkness/Cri de Coeur stuff has been pretty solid but I've been rotating when I wear them.

      Delete
  3. Just wanted to say that I love your blog, your message (the TNR, the animal rights org work, the faboo simple lifestyle), and your style! I too am vegan and have been putting myself on a "not buying new clothes" challenge for the past four months. So far, so good, but I am in desperate need of good bras soon (I've tried sewing and repairing myself, but that gets awkward fast). Anyway, just wanted to say thank you much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost bought Overdressed, but decided on Naked Fashion: the New Sustainable Fashion Revolution. It had some helpful information, but I'd say it was 75% about the wonder and glories of People Tree, the author's company.

    In addition to the usual Buy Less, Buy Better Quality, Be Informed steps toward fashion reform, I think some of us need to sit down and ponder what clothes best suit our needs and lifestyle, and how we want to look. It's hard to resist the endless parade of colors and styles available out there, but if we can at least be honest with ourselves about what we'll Actually Wear, we can eliminate a lot of waste and closet orphans.... said the girl with the mauve velvet shoes. *cough*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always so glad to hear these things from you to teach me things, so that maybe I can be in check and not buy throw-away BS clothes.

    I've also been planning to have a day dedicated to sewing- really just hemming a ton of too-long jeans and fixing a few things.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.