9.17.2012

Oops, I did it again! - Catskills Animal Sanctuary

I know this post is going to make it look like all I do is visit farm sanctuaries.  Unfortunately, this is not the case.  If I could make that my life every outfit picture would be with porcine, bovine or fowl.  Last month I bragged about my trip to Farm Sanctuary here and here.  This month, thanks to my employer, I got to go to Catskills Animal Sanctuary!

One of the weird things about cute-talking these animals is that I'm prone to thinking, "OMG YOU'RE SO CUTE I WANT TO EAT YOU!"  Except people really seriously actually DO eat these animals, which blows my mind and makes me realize that:  1) we have a lot of ridonkulous sayings but also 2) I still think of omnivorism as something so far removed from reality (despite seeing it daily) that I forget it exists.  My friends, I am delusional.


These chickens, however...
came from a meth lab.
(No joke.)

photo.JPG
Urban Renewal dress (salvaged material, US-made)
sweatshop sandals, cobbled to last 3-4 seasons




Jailbird, the official greeter of CAS!
(rescued from illegal drug raid)

Jailbird!





Sneak Peek!
Baby calves rescued from
the milk-leads-to-veal industry

photo 1.JPG




Mom and Son Sheep:  
Pregnant mom rescued
from roaming Bronx streets
(probably live market)


photo 3.JPG 



Helen, the Blind Cow:
Chasing the Treat Bowl
(rescued from the beef industry)

Hellen gets grain 


I hope that one day you, too, can visit some rescued farm animals.  Their awesomeness can't be put into words.  You will marvel at their funny body language that you cannot yet understand.  You won't instinctually know where to pet them.  Your heart will break hearing about their pasts.  (Dairy industry, meat industry, petting zoos, 4H, animal fighting...and apparently meth labs, too.)  And you will think they're really #$@#$! cute!

If you have visited some sanctuaries who rescue animals, please drop me a line in comments or via email.  I'd love to have a list of sanctuaries to visit!

9 comments:

  1. Bah! I want to go to a sanctuary so badly but, despite being a factory farming state, there are no sanctuaries in Indiana. Not that I have been able to find online. I think that is so sad. I hear there is a great pig sanctuary outside of Seattle, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you talking about Pigs Peace? {http://www.pigspeace.org/main/index.html}

      We stopped in their retail shop (Sidecar Pigs for Peace) when we were in Seattle (it was right next to Pizza Pi) and that was how I learned about it but we didn't get to visit. I just got some vegan peppermint patties by Serenity in the Storm - she did a fundraiser for them and now I have a picture of Maynard on my bulletin board. He is so cute. {http://www.serenityinthestorm.com/?page_id=1943}

      I would love to visit there. I hope you get to!

      Delete
  2. That's crazy about chickens and meth labs! I really need to make a trip to one of the sanctuaries. I don't really have a great excuse, I keep meaning to schedule a trip and just forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I NEVER would have imagined meth labs! I feel like I've been to sanctuaries where they rescue exotics from drug dens (like tigers, alligators and whatnot) but they are usually for there for protection/scare tactics. I've also heard of cockfighting and drug busts happening in the same place...but never chickens as cover up for a meth lab SMELL. I can't imagine what that would have been like for the chickens.

      Delete
  3. I love that you post these visits. And, I have to confess, I say / think that all the time re: thinking animals are so cute I want to eat them. If my cats only understood what I was saying to them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you ever come to Germany you need to visit my favorite place HOF BUTENLAND. It's also called OLD-AGE HOME FOR COWS. There are 2 beautiful apartments on this farm which can be booked for holidays: http://www.stiftung-fuer-tierschutz.de/ferienwohnung_2.html

    I have visited this sanctuary 2 times and I can't wait to get back. It's like you say, it breaks your heart to hear what they have suffered. But it also fills your heart to see how well they have recovered and how happy they are today. You can see some pictures of my last visit in my post: http://frauesveraendertdiewelt.blogspot.de/2012/08/mit-ihrem-lieblingsort.html

    Unfortunately their website is only in German but on their facebook page they translate most of the posts in English and the "Info" is also in English: http://www.facebook.com/HofButenland

    They also have a channel on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/StiftungHofButenland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing about this - it looks really lovely and I hope I get to visit one day. The pictures in your post were really sweet - especially those two pigs cuddling. Gah!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting my post. I have added a translation tool on the right bar just under the robot. The translation is far from good, but I guess it will do and you get an idea :o)

    I'm totally in love with Erna, one of the pigs (the one I'm standing close to on the picture). I have a godparenthood (is that the correct word?) for her. Those two pigs (Erna & Else) are best friends and have been rescued from an experimental laboratory when they were 8 month old. They had fresh surgery scars and no more teeth. They still have no teeth but they somehow manage their life without any problems.

    I hope I can go back there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, a flipping meth lab?! To cover the smell!?!? That has my mind blown, friend.

    P.S. - I would steal that dress right off your back.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.