8.08.2012

Frankie Say Relax!

Let me go on the record here:  I'm not really posting this for my "outfit".  I'm just posting it for Frankie.  This was the second day of the Farm Sanctuary event and I was dressing out of a tent with no mirror so I ended up looking like I was on a school field trip.  (To be fair, we could have stayed at a nearby B&B but I'm trying to toughen up and learn how to camp.)

Frankie, a former dairy cow, is part of the older herd.  They don't put the young, boisterous cows in with the old-timers for good reason as they're more leisurely and some are less mobile.  Frankie's an older lady, and she likes to sit around and make a lot of chewing noises and get some pets under the chin. 

And put up with urbanites and suburbanites trying to pet her under the chin, repeatedly.  All.  Day.  Long.  She is an incredibly good sport.



I'm not even going to grace this outfit with a description
Proper footwear around cows is normally NOT flip flops.
If you are around more active and mobile cows, wear real shoes!

This year at the Hoe Down event I learned stuff that surprised even me, and I've been vegan for 17 damned years.  When a dairy cow has a boy (who can't be used as a dairy cow), they are now sold off not only to be raised as veal but beef as well.  This used to be mostly veal, which is where the saying "There's a veal calf in every glass of milk" came from, explaining that the milk industry directly supplies veal.  Now the milk industry directly supplies beef, too.  The whole thing makes you wonder if milk is actually vegetarian, right?  Semantics!

Kevin, the sweetest most-loving cow we met last year has passed.  He was a very old cow so while this isn't surprising, it's still sad.  Here he is, cuddling with J last year.  Which he did for like a half an hour straight.

055


This is my favorite cow, Meg, the butterscotch beauty.  I've never pet her.  Or stood next to her.  She is not that crazy about people which, when you think about it, is logically how all of the animals at Farm Sanctuary should act given what they've gone through.  For some reason - maybe for obvious reasons - I love her best!

Meg!

In case you were wondering why dairy cows were having babies:  Dairy cows have to be impregnated regularly to make milk so dairy facilities artificially impregnate the cows and then remove their babies usually as soon as they're born, where they are often sold within 24 hours at auction.  Oftentimes they're sick already because they're too young to be away from their mothers for even that long.  Which is #$@#$ crazy that they could even truck a less-than-a-day-old calf to auction and even crazier is the issue of downers.  Hilda, a downer sheep, was Farm Sanctuary's very first rescue and a compelling story about downers, if you don't know what that is and would like to know more.

3 comments:

  1. I've been reading your blog for about 2 years now, and every time I do I'm reminded why I should be vegan! I've been vegetarian for 7 years, and for the past year and a half have been mostly vegan (with the exception of the dairy & eggs from my aunt's very free-range farm animals). But your reminders are so powerful in increasing my determination, not to mention appreciation of your general all-around badassery! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww cows!!!
    For some reason I never made the connection about cows and veal until I read The Food Revolution. Once I read that I immediately went vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this. it pays for me to be reminded of the inhumane unethical side of meat and dairy production.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.