7.30.2012

Outfit Roundup: Black & Blue

Real life has hit me like a truck lately and I barely have time for this form of blogging escapism; despite trying to blog about ethical fashion, I still consider this blog a hobby of dissociative leisure. 

So, what are the good things lately?
  • Olivia's groomer left her with tiny hairy boots, which repeatedly puts Fairies Wear Boots in my head (and there are worse things than a Black Sabbath earwig); Olivia is my long hair black cat
  • I just bought Alison Bechdel's Are You My Mother?
  • A friend reminded me of my old nickname, "cats n' tats"
  • I finally finished reading Just Kids
  •   Offset Warehouse did a post on whether wool is an ethical textile; they mentioned some of the animal welfare issues (routinely & purposefully removing strips of skin when shearing; being shipped off to halal butchers when they're "done") in two bullet points at the very end but the whole thing was an interesting read - although perhaps best reposted in the winter months?

On to the ethical outfit scorecard bit for what I managed to commit to camera:


shirt/sweatshop
skirt/American Apparel
shoes/Mooshoes


shirt/swap
skirt/vintage, flea market
shoes/Mooshoes
necklace/part sweatshop, park found objects


 
shirt/probably sweatshop concert shirt
skirt/deconstructed dress bottom, swap
sandals/sweatshop but resoled and from 2009
Orko, wood pile in NJ, 1998

Overall, not too bad.  All vegan, of course.  I started feeling like a textbook case of folks who only use 20% of their closets so my concession to remedy this was pulling out that Cult shirt and that denim skirt I never wear...but that look like everything else I wear all the time. 

15 comments:

  1. Ah, 20% of the closet. I've been guilt as well.
    Did you like "Just Kids"? Patti Smith is such a beautiful writer. I listened to Horses at work for about 2 weeks straight. Good thing I have an office door that closes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I liked it more for the content than the actual writing. She has a dreamy quality to her writing but how she frames herself and others - specifically the self-mythologizing - was a little too over the top for my taste in general although I did dismiss most of it because it's Patti Smith.I found it hard to track some of her story lines; she doesn't close the loop on some of the places she lived or people she was dating. It's all very disjointed and, for some reason, I expected something linear?

      I enjoyed it, though! And I wept at the end.

      "Patti, no!" is now my favorite saying.

      Delete
  2. Yup, 20%. It's the story of my life! You should wear that denim skirt more, it's cute.

    I thought of you when I read through a couple of crappy articles about "the vegan diet" in this month's fashion magazines (I forget which ones). The tone of both articles was "so-and-so went vegan, lost weight and then felt like crap, so don't do it" and "some vegans only eat potato chips and that's not good for you". Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oy! No surprise that I really dislike that kind of coverage...but it does help me surprise people when I tell them I've been vegan for 17 years and I'm in perfect health. The other side of it is when people present veganism as this all-raw extreme-health endeavor. Equally as weird!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the link to the wool article! I'll be curious what you think of the Bechdel book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Terri. I am not enjoying this book. This is the first time I actually put down Bechdel to go read something else, mid-book!

      Delete
  4. At least you're consistent. i look like a friggin clown today, stripes, dots, in varying sizes in colours - yesterday i was grey and stripey. i want to read are you my mother now. I've just had to sell and give away what i thought was 50% of my unworn wardrobe.....i still have masses of clothes that i am angling to wear, i'm going to not so secretly admit that i like clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a whole store of unworn clothes that have still yet to see the light of day. I like clothes too - it's just hard to wear them all even if I like them, you know?

      I am not loving the new Bechdel; I'll post about it soon when I finish it but I'd skim it before you bought it or get it at the library.

      Delete
  5. Let us, or at least me, know what you thought of are you my mother. I enjoyed fun home and her strips, but are you my mother left me cold. Too autobiographical, too many shrinks. Anyway. You look so stylish, always. thanks for keeping up the outfit posts. You inspire me to be neater and less crazy looking. I'm with teeny on the clown front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even finished it yet and I feel the same way you do. The things I loved best about her - her ability to create a realistic community and relatable characters out of illustration - are all missing. I can't believe I'm reading a book that has an illustration of a highlighted psychologist text REPEATEDLY. As I mentioned in my reply to Terri, I can't believe that I'm reading a Bechdel book I'm willing to put down.

      Delete
    2. Also I just wanted to say that your comment about being neater made me laugh because I can't manage to incorporate any of the nicely layered and flowy stuff that you pull off even though I try. I can't figure out if I just don't buy it or if I own it and I'm just not wearing it right? Sometimes I wonder if things just look so different on different people that it almost wouldn't matter if we wore the same things?

      Delete
  6. I'm really trying to pair down my wardrobe (I feel like I'm always doing this) to get to the clothes I actually wear. Maybe I should just stop buying new clothes? That is probably a good plan, that way my old clothes don't become obsolete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am alternately of that school and then the "building a uniform wardrobe" school. Where my new uniform wardrobe is classier and easier than the one I have now, I guess?

      Delete
  7. Like Milla, I greatly preferred Fun Home/DTWOF. I agree with Bechdel's mom: "Too many threads!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For reals! I responded to Terri and Milla above, too but I am just NOT feeling this one!

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.