6.11.2012

Monday's Outfit Roundup

As promised, I kept all my clothing documentation for one post.  It's an assortment of shorts, dresses and some out-in-real-life pictures instead of me trying to stand against a wall in my apartment.  I'm certain everyone hates that bright shirt - it's been met with raised eyebrows and the word "muumuu" but I have an irrational, endurable love for it in the face of adversity.  Also, it feels like PJs and that is one of the lofty goals I have for my wardrobe.



Brooklyn Botanic Gardens
photo.JPG
shirt & bag/pre-owned
shorts/sweatshop
shoes/sweatshop but resoled

Urban Outfitters fitting room
photo 2.JPG
dress/american apparel
leggings/sweatshop
necklace/some sweatshop & found items
shoes/cri de coeur hearts of darkness
("made in an ethical, sweat-shop free factory in China")

...again
photo 4.JPG
urban renewal dress/salvaged fabric, US made
leggings/sweatshop
shoes/cri de coeur hearts of darkness
("made in an ethical, sweat-shop free factory in China")

...and again
urban renewal dress/salvaged fabric, US made
leggings/sweatshop
shoes/cri de coeur hearts of darkness
("made in an ethical, sweat-shop free factory in China")

in Chelsea
photo.JPG
shirt/pre-owned
shorts/sweatshop*
*but tailored into shorts when I never wore them as pants
"shoes"/sweatshop

Hallway (sunglasses to cover weary face)
top/sweatshop, 6 years old?
leggings/sweatshop
shoes/cri de coeur hearts of darkness
("made in an ethical, sweat-shop free factory in China.")

 Dining room with Oona and Ollie
photo.JPG
shirt/pre-owned
shorts/sweatshop*
*but tailored into shorts when I never wore them as pants


Outfit(s) scorecard:  As per usual, all vegan.  Some pre-owned, some new but decent labor standards, some sweatshop but old (plaid thing) or repaired (sandals).  I would have just kept getting the sandals re-cobbled but the material is starting to separate so when they go, they go.  I found a pair of sandals that are new but re-sole-able and will hopefully last a few years.

I bought the two Urban Renwal dresses below.  Urban Outfitters has a lot of issues but a lot of their UR line is often salvaged materials and made in the US so I cave for those.  Unfortunately I also caved from some Made in China cotton mary janes, too.  Which is the danger of going into those kinds of stores.  I guess if you're a sane person with willpower and perspective that's not a danger for you.  But it is for me.  That's what I'm working with, folks.

9 comments:

  1. You wear leggings so well that I kind of want to get some, even though I swore I never would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I avoided them for a long time until I realize they feel like wearing PJs and they turn short short skirts into acceptable "shirts" for work with leggings. I use "acceptable" loosely.

      Delete
  2. I like the bright shirt. If it's a muumuu, you muumuu it well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The floral shirt is awesome! (And not a muumuu.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like dress number 3 and am curious about the salvaged materials aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Blogger ate my answer)

      Basically they say this:

      "Urban Renewal pieces are totally one-of-a-kind — handcrafted in Philadelphia from vintage, deadstock and surplus materials sourced from around the world."

      Sometimes in the description they'll tell you if it's vintage fabric or endroll surplus but I got these in the store and they're not online so I'm not sure. UR has a lot of bleached/tie-dyed stuff on their site so I think they are doing that portion themselves.

      The Johann Earl for UR seems to NOT be made in the US, unlike their other stuff which is made in Philly. I bought 3 of their dresses from the fall line before I realized that bullet point was missing from the description so I'd probably avoid the JE/UR ones in the future.

      Delete
  5. I understand completely when you say that you caved in to the Chinese shoes. Despite my best intentions, I've done the very same thing. I've found it's just easier to stay away from places where I'll break down!

    I've really enjoyed reading through your blog. I like your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your shoes, they are all so cute. I agree with leggings too! I swore never to wear them but they are so damn comfy. I just wear a short dress or longer top and feel better.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.