1.09.2012

Better Luck Tomorrow

This picture is from a mere two weeks ago. Between then and now, winter properly arrived. There will be no pulling off ankle socks and bare legs now.

more dresses - 21st
all/sweatshop

I guess sometimes the 'all sweatshop items' thing just happens with an outfit. I try to remember there are other things I can do to make sure my wardrobe is more sustainable and fair to the world, even if I made a few sweatshop labor mistakes.

1) Take care of what I have - being careful with the dress, socks and shoes will help them last longer and most likely deter me from buying another dress, socks or shoes in the future. (I haven't quite figured out if it will deter me from replacing these items or if I will keep a consistent volume in my closet - replacing any dress with any other style dress, or a shirt, etc.) I have been thinking about sustainability and clothes for a while and even so, it hasn't been until recently my response to a tiny hole in a sock has been to sew it vs. throw it in the textiles recycling pile.

2) Taking some comfort in the fact that while none of the items likely had great labor practices, none of them consist of animal hair or hide - so I purchased aligned with my strongest value.

3) There's the opportunity to do better next time. That is why I label things "sweatshop" instead of the actual retailer - to remind myself that this was something I was hoping to avoid. (That and I was tired of advertising retailers I wasn't proud of.) So, better luck tomorrow, Future Jesse.

3 comments:

  1. I got tired to labeling things the brand names too. I comfort myself with the fact that a lot of my wardrobe (even the sweatshop items) are thrifted, therefore the brand in question isn't actually getting any of my money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try my best to shop ethically too but some of my outfits have clothes that I bought before I decided to go ethical. I think it is important to wear and look after any clothes that you already have but it is a great idea to label them sweatshop to avoid giving the brands any free promotion.It is a pretty dress, perhaps you could find similar styles from an ethical brand? Thrifting a great idea as it doesn't count if you buy them second hand (does it?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, this touches on something I've been pondering. Quite a lot of my thrift store purchases have small flaws. Often I will return the item, but some are such favorites, that I will repair them. I have a gathered skirt in a heavy gray cotton and I'm going to do an iron-on patch in the shape of a heart...and wear it proudly.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.