12.03.2011

Dressember the 2nd


I wore this to:
- work holiday party

Dressember the 2nd
dress/vintage
shoes & tights/sweatshop

The great thing about this dress is how many wears I get out of it. I've worn it to weddings, holiday parties, New Year's Eve, whatevs kind of fancy cold weather events. It invariably gets me Jackie O (or Jackie Kennedy) comments and I find myself reaching for it more than I ever thought I would.

Buying stuff to like enough for it to become a staple is always tricky. The best laid plans to target good quality items that won't be dated and that I'll like to wear forever are often foiled. Sometimes it's the fit. Other times its how I feel in it. Or knowing how to wear it. For whatever reason, items I feel lucky to have in my closet are few.

So I consider this dress one of my greenest buys - it was already reused and for a dress-up dress, it gets a lot of airtime. If I didn't have this go-to in my closet, I'd have to be shopping a lot more often since fancy dress events (just like work) are one of those required dress code instances.

Shockingly, Anna Wintour also endorses reuse when she says, “I think it's always fun to have something new, but it doesn't mean that everything you already have in your closet has to be thrown out, you know? Recycle. It’s totally okay — I even recommend it.” (Although, in all seriousness, I don't make a habit of considering Wintour's thoughts all that much.)

dressember

6 comments:

  1. funny - yeah- I wouldn't follow/quote Wintour all that much either... but in this instance it's a good idea to reuse your nicer things for fancier events. buying new is a waste - and half the time if you're buying for an upcoming event and your in a rush you won't end up buying something that will be a staple in your closet (I speak from past personal experience)

    You look fabulous in this dress : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. great dress! just wondering what that fabric is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree wholeheartedly. I've seen you in this dress before on here? it doesn't get old, only better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those go-to dresses. I'm trying to scale back my consumption, and those go-to dresses have saved my bank account from negative numbers. Yours is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this dress! You are gorgeous, btw! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all!

    @ Chris - it's a mix of cotton and acrylic, it looks like. There's no tags and the ebay listing just said synthetic from what I recall. I don't think it's '60s vintage but a knockoff of '60s vintage from the '80s or something like that.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.