10.04.2011

You aren't crazy.

I just saw this, A Message to Women from a Man, on a list serv and it's the kind of item to pass on.

Crazy Kong

I haven't consciously noticed me calling myself "crazy" but I could see how it would be hurtful for women everywhere to continue referring to ourselves as "insane". Let's face it -- the great majority of us do not have the vapors.

If anything my mantra is "I'm really f'n busy, please step off as I get sh!t done" than implying I'm irrational or don't know what I'm doing. (Usually I know what I'm doing and I have some thoughts about what you should be doing, too. But I try to be nice about not sharing those.)

It will be interesting to see if what I think I do is true in the coming days, as I watch for tell-tale signs that I might be taking myself down a notch inadvertently.

5 comments:

  1. That is one powerful article. And got me thinking about my own husband. I have to say I felt really uncomfortable; he would never DARE say anything outrightly mean or attacking - it's when we argue and he is in the wrong that he throws out a back to front comment to confuse me. But I'm wise to his tactics and keep on track with my point. Surely we do this to men as well? I'm starting to think humans are bullying by nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article. I used to date a guy who called me "crazy" almost daily, and not in some affectionate way. Yes, usually because I cried so much. There was less to cry about once I dumped him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I get a "why are you starting?" when I get angry about something. Makes me even more livid, but I may have successfully banned that statement...we'll see.

    Have you happened to see the previews for the new TV show "Whitney"? Makes me want to hurl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I have been "gaslighted" so much, I might as well be Olde London Towne. But now that I'm hep to that shit, I don't let anyone use it on me without a serious tongue lashing.

    This doesn't count the time I was on birth control and seriously became, as I called it, a "hysterical, Victorian female"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article. I used to date a guy who called me "crazy" almost daily, and not in some affectionate way. Yes, usually because I cried so much. There was less to cry about once I dumped him.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.