9.21.2011

I spy with my little eye

I just wanted to brag that I saw an American Redstart on my fire escape. And correctly identified it in my Sibley's. Two firsts.

Granted, I saw it because one of my cats tipped me off by plastering her face against the window screen in amazement. But still. It counts.

American Redstart (female)
photo by Jeremy Myer

Otherwise I have a cardinal family who live in my backyard, along with a bunch of pigeons, mourning doves and the occasional miserable bird of prey. I used to have a yellow-bellied sapsucker (no, really) in my yard every year but I haven't seen it around. I suspect it passed because I saw a similar "expired" bird on the sidewalk a block away earlier this year.

6 comments:

  1. Where are you in NYC with all those special little birds on your fire escape? It makes me so sad when I find small birds on the sidewalk & I know that they met their end hitting a glass building or terrace. I always move them to a shaded/shrubbed area where they won't get stepped on & always a little prayer that they just might wake up & fly away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice that although you live in a city (I think?) you still see the occasional natural wild animals. Sorta. As you know, i live in the opposite ....the birds are waking me man...either scritch scratching on the patio above our bedroom or singing to each other in the morn. But birds are about all NZ has. So. We love em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Every time I see a cardinal or a goldfinch I get excited like I've never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Granted, I saw it because one of my cats tipped me off by plastering her face against the window screen in amazement."

    That just means you hired the right assistant. Go team!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ vko - I live in South Slope near Green-wood Cemetery so I tend to get a bunch of birds. Yes, those fallen birds are always so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so I tend to get a bunch of birds. Yes, those fallen birds are always so sad!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.