7.28.2011

Field Trip: Brooklyn Charm

I will never be a jewelry designer. It is really hard work, even when you're just stringing trinkets together. If you want to see someone born to be a jewelry designer, look here. Not at me.

How do I know of my shortcomings? A little field trip to Brooklyn Charm. It sounds like such a great idea. Come in! Pick up some trinkets! Pick out a chain! Yay, you made a necklace! In reality I walked around the store clutching a tiny tray of every trinket I liked. So. Many. Trinkets.

Big skulls, little skulls, harmonicas, monocles, flowers, crystals, silver feathers, tiny brass coffee cups, compasses, whistles, patina-encrusted hearts, teeny scissors, little fists, little hands. Which all sounds fine. But then I had to figure out how to pair them together and get them to sit on a necklace without looking like a messy keychain.


photo 4.JPG


500 years later, this is what I came up with.


004

{Had the vintage Ford key. Got the skull & necklace}



014

{I liked this one best in the store but least at home -
a cornicello and a harmonica! Necklace for Italian hobo?}




011

{coffee mug, feather and compass}




007
{whistle, hand and rose}



I had them all put together so I could use the same chain (savings = $21!) for all the clusters of charms. (Thankfully I had a LivingSocial thinger so my final tab was significantly reduced.)


I am sufficiently humbled by this experience and look forward to hearing about your successful or equally challenging jewelry-making endeavors.

4 comments:

  1. I don't wear a lot of jewelry because I hate most of what I find in stores, and had toyed wight the idea of checking that place out to see if I could make something I'd actually like. I'm ridiculously impatient though so after you experience, I don't know if that's the best idea. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this idea for a store. I want to make my own jewelry! I had a friend in high school who was very into jewelry making. She had a huge tackle box full of beads and wires and strings and tools. I made an awesome pair of earrings once that I still have somewhere, but mostly we were making pony bead candy bracelets with boys names on them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! you did well! I particularly like the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHAHA just went to the Hoggle link. I love Labyrinth forever.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.