6.01.2011

Art as a Burned Down House

This was from a while ago but I still wanted to share.

In my neighborhood, a grocery store (Associated) burned down to the ground. Everything. The apartments above were gutted, the small art gallery and house next door was blown out.

The owners of the gallery happened to live next door in the house that was burned and, after their home was deemed uninhabitable, hosted an ad hoc art show in their former house, entitled Associated. A lot of it was pretty sad.

These miniature escape ladders hidden around the house broke my heart. This was so small I could fit just my pinky finger through each rung.

associated


A once-used bathroom, with swimmers dancing around the sink. When you turned the corner it was a jarring juxtaposition of a room so obviously uninhabited with a tiny sink of "life" (the projection of the swimmers moved).


associated

associated


A closet full of travel cases, holding mini-worlds (including running water streams). These were really charming.

associated

associated


There were a lot of leftover "found objects", which felt weird but it was clear they were left on purpose. And it also felt strange to be touring the house unaided, not knowing which of the other visitors might have lived there. When we talked about the installations, I felt like I kept guarding what I said, unlike a studio exhibit.

Good on them for making something sometimes pretty, sometimes sad out of what they had left.

* I only had my iphone with me so the pictures are subpar. My humble apologies.
**I tagged this museum instead of gallery to condense my tags.

2 comments:

  1. mmmm. I believe you can always feel it when a tragedy has taken place - and things were left that way. Remains (of a house) are an unnerving reminder of how fragile our lives and their imaginary boundaries are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a gorgeous response to a huge loss.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.