5.11.2011

At a Florida Mall

I'm finally back from my work trip, which wiped me out before I even left. Pathetically, my backed up workload is so behind that I could only afford one day off and I'm back at my desk again tomorrow. (I have two --almost three-- new staff members so there's light at the end of the tunnel, at least!)

I have no outfit pictures because it was impossible to take any in the hotel rooms and I was living out of a suitcase anyway. Also, no time. Our second hotel was attached to a mall, an idea which I initially loathed but proved to be convenient.

007

I wondered if it was going to break my streak of buying consciously. (I hesitate to use the term "sweatshop free".)

But it didn't. Lately, whenever I get wistful over a store window and I can't identify their labor practices as "just", I make myself pick out two people I like. Family, coworkers, friends.

And then I try to imagine whether I'd still buy things at stores like these if I knew they were the ones who worked in these places and dealt with those conditions to earn a living.

9 times out of 10, I don't bother even walking in the store. And so far, 10 times out of 10, it's pushed me to not want to buy anything in the store.

I don't know how long this will last though. Right now I don't need anything. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out when an occasion or role makes it more likely I'll feel responsible for buying something in particular.

006

2 comments:

  1. "And then I try to imagine whether I'd still buy things at stores like these if I knew they were the ones who worked in these places and dealt with those conditions to earn a living."

    Good system! My battle plan is to recall all the soul-sucking minimum wage jobs I've had, how worthless those jobs made me feel... and then remember that I made a FORTUNE compared to sweatshop laborers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pick-2-people technique sounds pretty effective. I might have to try that myself. I bought a pair of jeans at Gap some weeks back after I spent an entire afternoon reading about their sustainability efforts. Now a part of me feels like I shouldn't have bought anything, because who knows if they are a) lying or b) just making things sound good, which is actually kind of like lying. I feel like the more I read about company policies the more suspicious I become!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.