4.12.2011

I Wuz There: NYC Vegetarian Food Fest

This event was actually last week but my posting schedule is a little backlogged.

Not a "This is what I wore to..."
but a "this is what I bought at..." the NYC Veg Food Festival:


153

154


I'm not usually one for message t-shirts but I couldn't pass up this one from the kick-ass group, Mercy for Animals. (Also, I can't turn down a good skeleton? It's the reformed metalhead in me.)

When I think of MFA, I think of undercover investigations outing animal cruelty committed against cows, birds, fish - you name it. My hat is tipped to any group whose members have the steel heart to conduct undercover investigations because that is the only way we ever see what's going on in there.

Have you heard the new crazy-crazy? Maybe you've heard of Norman's Bill, which seeks to make it a felony for anyone to photograph a farm without the farmer's written consent on a national level? Norman's said that the undercover cruelty videos have been "an assault on the agriculture industry". Wait. Whaaaat? {It's Florida State Senate bill page is here.} I'll wait for you to noodle that one out in your head.

So, now more than ever, I want to support groups like MFA.


Anyway, now to to the food food food food.


Highlights:

1) The Dunwell Doughnuts Competitive Eating Competition!

Dunwell Doughnuts - Doughnut Eating Contest!
SuperVegan's Olivia Lane
emceed by the handsome Discerning Brute


2. Sweet & Sara -- skippers, peepers & smores! Sara is the Goddess of Marshmallows. No kidding. She can do no wrong.

083



3. Peanut Butter & Co. -- I ended up with a 6-pack, including the dark chocolate peanut butter. I was already a fan; I posted about PB&Co. right here.

131


4. Raw Ice Cream Co. ice cream -- my food co-op has this and I never buy it because it's so expensive and I had no idea what it tasted like but it's delicious

5. Foodswings!

todd me and foodswings

The person to the left is my friend who works with Darwin Animal Doctors in the Galapagos (which is what his shirt says but you can barely make it out in this picture)!

8 comments:

  1. I'm ordering that shirt! Also we have the dark chocolate and peanut butter too! It is so good. I'm so jealous, I wish I would've tried to go

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lucky you got in! We didn't end up going because the line was 3.5 to 4 hours when we arrived. Looks like you got some great goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous! I too attempted to go but was discouraged by the 3 hour wait so decided to go eat elsewhere. Looks like it was awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lot of fun! The shirt is super cute too.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Susanne and Corrie - yes, the wait was still going on when we got there but we were lucky enough to be arriving right at 4pm with one of the competitive doughnut eaters so we were able to sneak on in with her. Otherwise, trust me, I wouldn't have waited either!

    Hopefully they'll pick a larger place next year - it's great they were so successful right out of the gate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and thank you Caitlin & Anna - it was fun and I love MFA's shirt idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.facebook.com/foodkingdom
    -----------------------------------------------
    Food Kingdom are now looking for telephone operators for customer order line. Work will mostly run in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tee is too good!

    And the Norman's Bill is the most awful thing I have heard of in a while. Actually, that's not entirely true. It is parliamentary election time in Finland, and a lot of fur-industry-funded candidates have been talking about similar stuff regarding anti-fur activism. Their argument is that Finnish fur-farms should be protected because it's better that people buy fur produced in Finland rather than in China. It seems that in many people's minds the suffering of animals is one of those things we can put in the "it's all relative" bracket.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.