2.03.2011

When is it a pin, when is it a brooch?

I wore this to:
- work
- walk around with office foster cat hair on my behind all day


011
dress/gift from coworker @ last job
shirt/sweatshop retail
pin/vintage, ??
flats/sweatshop retail


Pin Detail


007

I am god-awful at accessorizing so I've been trying to pull out the pins, scarves, bells and whistles lately. Since I was so late to my morning meeting, I didn't pull out the pin until I got home. I figure if I've been in an accessory-less outfit all day, the least I can do is mentally prepare myself to accessorize the next time I wear said outfit.

I think this is a pin. It's bauble-ness nearly caused me to deem it a brooch. And then I realized I don't actually know the difference.

According to this, they're synonymous. And someone mentioned that if it has rhinestones, they're more likely to refer to it as a brooch, so now I don't feel so bad.

9 comments:

  1. for sweatshop retail- that's a pretty shirt.
    Also tomorrow I'm doing a post on something you inspired... and yes it has to do with chocolate
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice outfit! It's a brooch and will always be a brooch to me because 'pin' isn't used in British English, eg PROPER ENGLISH (joking).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I have neither any pins nor brooches but I want to venture in this category, possibly via eBay. I like the green/golds in this shirt and the black dress. All around winning outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pattern on the shirt is so pretty! Why have I never thought to wear a button-up under a dress? I don't know the difference either but I always go with brooch = rhinestones, jewels, etc. are involved, pin = silver or gold tone only

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote pin, as well.
    Interesting they are interchangeable.
    I would call something a brooch if it was bigger, maybe.
    Never thought about this interchangeable word usage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This outfit is adorable and my vote is for brooch cause of all the rhinestones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this look on you! And your red lip is a fantastic foil to your dark hair and pale skin. Winning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pin!

    I usually think of a brooch as bigger. And if it's ugly, plain, made out of metal, or advertising something (like cancer awareness or something), it's a pin. Though pins can also be pretty and baubl-y. So brooches can be pins but not all pins can be brooches. Like squares and rectangles. Am I overthinking this? =)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.