8.09.2010

No Sleep 'til Brooklyn

I am finally back from the west coast -- the last few days were a blur that included:

1) some major transgressions on the shopping moratorium; reluctantly more on that later (I know, I was doing so well at the start of the trip)

2) meeting Suzz from La Fill D'Or @ the Bye and Bye (no picture because we both forgot!); she is as cute and nice in real life and I'm glad we got the chance to meet although I think it was probably hard to explain to our beaus who we were meeting up with and why ("It's someone I know from...online...due to the blog...you know...clothes. But also other stuff.")

3) seeing a rocky outcrop full of babies (cormorants, common murres, gull chicks and seal pups) on coastal OR

4) more Portland food cart food (Potato Champion, Whiffies and Oregon Ice Works)

5) vegan french toast at Blossoming Lotus (which we also got @ Junior's earlier in the week)

I never got to check out the Kennedy school or very much of NE, unfortunately, but thanks for everyone's recommendations. I wish I could have gotten to everything.


Buddies
Dogs in Newport

(there were actually 4 in there and this wasn't a police evidence picture -- it was cool weather so it was okay; no one was dying of heatstroke!)

************

Shockingly, I overpacked for 10 days since I rewore a lot of stuff, especially in the colder coastal weather. Usually I'm on-target with packing but due to lack of weather research, I dressed like a swaddled baby on the coast (at one point I had 2 cardigans and 2 scarves on). So I underpacked for the cold weather. I had no idea it was going to be in the very windy 50s and that I'd be tempted to buy an ugly shapeless windbreaker bearing "Newport, OR" lettering that I would never have worn again. (I didn't buy it. I just shivered instead. Victory?)

While I'm happy to be back, my cats are happy to have me back, I've almost slept off my virtually sleepless red-eye I just wish the lush flora and lack of trash and gross smells in Oregon/Washington didn't make me notice it so much here in Brooklyn. I wish I could find a magic place that is Brooklyn, but less dirty and less expensive with good, timely public transport (seriously, it's embarrassing that Seattle timely buses puts our MTA buses to shame) with houses that are $300k. *sigh*

2 comments:

  1. yeay you made it home! *gah* and hopefully you're not totally tired : )
    It really was awesome meeting ya! : )
    I have to second this: " I just wish the lush flora and lack of trash and gross smells in Oregon/Washington didn't make me notice it so much here in Brooklyn. I wish I could find a magic place that is Brooklyn, but less dirty and less expensive with good, timely public transport (seriously, it's embarrassing that Seattle timely buses puts our MTA buses to shame) with houses that are $300k" Just add Oakland in place of BK.

    It's got to be possible right? like transformer cats to dog. -more than meets the eye... : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, I should have totally warned you about the weather! 50 degree summers is a part of the reason I fled the northwest coast. I am fully embracing the summer here & everything that comes with it, even the humidity :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.