7.08.2010

Epitome

I wore this to: go to an all-day management training session; do neighborhoody stuff; look at Vitamix vs Blendtec videos online for way too long (research? entertainment? you decide!)


You might remember this dress from here - when this dress went from unworn to an office go-to. Which is exactly why I wanted to start this blog. Wheat/chaff. Coincidentally, my friend M, who has done the Tim Gunn's Guide to Style process said she just went through her closet again months later and couldn't find anything she didn't wear. !!! Please let that be me in 6 months.

008
dress/j.crew via beacon's closet
belt/SI thrift store
flats/payless


Shopping "Ban" Update:


I'm having mixed feelings about conserving my spending. I keep reminding myself it's for the sake of closet clarity. (As well as for my wallet.) I shouldn't feel like I'm going without although every shop window I see immediately gets looked at, dresses considered, skirts thought about -- until I remember, "Oh, shopping's not for me." Which instantly makes me feel deprived and then I have to start the thought cycle over again. How long until I don't consider buying things I see? How long until I just don't look?

I do have a bag of stuff for resale shops that's not swap appropriate so that might yield store credit to use in the future but I'm trying to use that system sparingly as I no longer have that much to weed out.

Given that I just had to sign up for a secured credit card* that'll cost me another $200/yr in fees to maintain until they offer me an unsecured version, I should be happy I'm doing this. At least I have the money from savings to use. I can't imagine being someone strapped for cash, needing to build credit and having to pay $200/year to get a card. I don't even need the actual credit - I just need to demonstrate that I can responsibly have higher credit limits so I'll be a better candidate for a mortgage one day. That's the ridiculous part. I don't even need your stupid $500 credit limit for anything, secured card!

*
even though I have a card in good standing for years which I use monthly, use less than 30% of the credit limit and my credit scores are good -- thanks, "data within recent market reports"!

6 comments:

  1. Jesse, let me give you some advice. Just don't look at store windows. Its okay to glance, but any heavy eye petting should be prohibited. It gets easier to not look as time goes by, and now you are still in transition of having the option of buying, but the longer you go, then you won't be so tempted because the answer will always be no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect summer dress - I really like the pattern and sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I think a few more remixing challenges, like La Fille d'Or's original one, might be in order? I'd like to participate.
    Also, when I have to go to a shop (to get something like an umbrella or tights), I look at all the negatives about the clothes around me. Cheap construction, unfinished seams, garish colors, annoying shoppers around me, and think about how it's a waste to spend on things that aren't high quality, and by the time I'm done with my hater fest, I'm out the door.
    Also, if you feel deprived, there's always LIC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the gingham dress, it is a print that always elicits visions of summer.

    I think the start of any ban is always the most difficult. Eventually you will stop craving shopping, and the time you would have spent there will be filled with something else.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a cute dress - so it's good it's in rotation : )

    I hadn't heard of Tim Gunn's guide. I'll have to read it. That would be great to not have any unworn things in the closet,

    **you know I've never watched an episode of project runway** I am cable-less

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think of it as an annoying yet necessary investment in your future. You know, like college.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.