1.30.2010

Good Luck Coat

Remember when I was all bummed that I found a vegan coat line where they looked like normal coats and not like nylon or fleece? And I was bummed because I couldn't afford it since they were extra spendy (with good reason - sustainable materials, paying livable wages, small first season runs)?


Friday I took an hour off work mid-day (unheard of for me) to hit the Vaute Couture, Cri de Coeur, Lara Miller and Olsen Haus sample sale. It was close enough to my office that I could hoof it (which is common - a lot of times they're in my building and yet I still don't go). The deal was a buy-1-get-1-free situation and I was lucky enough to find a fellow vegan-lady who also wanted a coat.

New Vaute Couture Coat

I tried on my size in the light blue but really needed either the dark blue or black to work with both NYC and my inability to keep things clean, especially on the subway (it's true, I almost never look before I sit?). Luckily one xs black vaute-style coat was still sitting in her Chicago studio because it had been purchased and returned for a sleeve adjustment (the girl took another coat right away and this one went back to the sewing folks). So it's being shipped to me. I am hoping this is some karmic gift and not that I owe fate something or other for this one.

The coats are very soft and feel heavier on than they do in your hand. When I first picked one up I thought, "There's no weight to this!" But once on, I felt it. I don't know if it's because I'm on the smaller-small side but even the xs left a little room in the torso - it's not enough to be a deal-breaker, though. I'm thrilled to be getting a cruelty-free coat from such an awesome business. You can read more about Vaute Couture here under the "About Us" and "What/Why/How" tabs - her mission is about more than just the vegan part of it.


The founder/owner/everything, Leanne Mai-ly Hilgart, is just about the cutest and sweetest person ever and has an incredible range of activism (and modeling - I am not surprised, after meeting her in person) which you can read about here.





4 comments:

  1. Awesome! Congrats on the vegan coat score, definitely a karmic gift ;) I will definitely check out Vaute Couture!! I never look before I sit either! Which is why all my coats/pants are black ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given you an award over on my blog, come and pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niiice! Those coats are super cute. Let me know if you hear about something similar in Chicago!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @O&A - awesome, thanks!

    @Nicole - she just did it in Chicago first! Bummer! I just signed up for her email list.

    http://www.facebook.com/VauteCouture#/event.php?eid=260975159453&ref=mf

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment. Please don't apologize for writing a lot - I like long thoughtful comments so bring on the "wall o' text" if you wish and have no shame.

Short comments are, of course, also always welcome.